The Student Room Group

Bristol vs Edinburgh vs Exeter vs Leeds

Poll

Bristol vs Edinburgh vs Exeter vs Leeds

I have offers from all of them except Bristol for Graduate LLB and very much positive that I’ll be receiving an offer from them too and for Edinburgh now we don't have to do a conversion course because of the new SQE route.

So which among these is the best for getting a place at a US law firm or the Magic circle and which among those is considered more prestigious

As of my research
For law Exeter>Bristol>Leeds>Edinburgh
But in international rankings
It’s Edinburgh>Bristol>Leeds>Exeter

Is it worth going to Edinburgh?
Hi I also applied to Edinburgh and Exeter for law this year!! Although I got into Cambridge which is my top choice. I’m planning on making Edinburgh my insurance if Durham doesn’t work out. The reason I prefer Edinburgh as opposed to Exeter is because I prefer the vibes of the city and the university facilities are top notch. Therefore, If you prefer Edinburgh as a place I would go there, as your much more likely to do well if you like the place you study. Also, as you mentioned that you’d like to practise at a US firm, therefore I’d say Edinburgh is probably better due to its international reputation. However, if you want to work in the UK I don’t think there are huge disparities between Exeter and Edinburgh (apart from edi doing Scottish law) and in that case it’s much more important to get a good degree class than where you went to uni. I hope this helps !!! :smile:
Not sure how you’ve managed to put Exeter first over Bristol and Edinburgh.
If I was to be a clueless TSR user and rank them, Exeter would be last.

Are you an international student?
Original post by Rebeca5782
Hi I also applied to Edinburgh and Exeter for law this year!! Although I got into Cambridge which is my top choice. I’m planning on making Edinburgh my insurance if Durham doesn’t work out. The reason I prefer Edinburgh as opposed to Exeter is because I prefer the vibes of the city and the university facilities are top notch. Therefore, If you prefer Edinburgh as a place I would go there, as your much more likely to do well if you like the place you study. Also, as you mentioned that you’d like to practise at a US firm, therefore I’d say Edinburgh is probably better due to its international reputation. However, if you want to work in the UK I don’t think there are huge disparities between Exeter and Edinburgh (apart from edi doing Scottish law) and in that case it’s much more important to get a good degree class than where you went to uni. I hope this helps !!! :smile:

I’m sorry but how have you come to the conclusion that there is no difference between Exeter and Edinburgh.

Would you say the same for Leeds or Manchester?
Original post by LawStudent456
Not sure how you’ve managed to put Exeter first over Bristol and Edinburgh.
If I was to be a clueless TSR user and rank them, Exeter would be last.

Are you an international student?

I was confused between Bristol or Exeter but from what I’ve heard Exeter is better than Edinburgh for Magic circle
I’m also aware that Edinburgh has a better reputation overall and that too by quite a margin but if you want to practice in England then Exeter has the edge.
Also would the SQE route turn things around for Edinburgh like would it be more desirable?

Yes I’m an international student
Reply 5
Is the course at Edinburgh for common law?
Original post by Rebeca5782
Hi I also applied to Edinburgh and Exeter for law this year!! Although I got into Cambridge which is my top choice. I’m planning on making Edinburgh my insurance if Durham doesn’t work out. The reason I prefer Edinburgh as opposed to Exeter is that I prefer the vibes of the city and the university facilities are top notch. Therefore, If you prefer Edinburgh as a place I would go there, as your much more likely to do well if you like the place you study. Also, as you mentioned that you’d like to practise at a US firm, therefore I’d say Edinburgh is probably better due to its international reputation. However, if you want to work in the UK I don’t think there are huge disparities between Exeter and Edinburgh (apart from edi doing Scottish law) and in that case it’s much more important to get a good degree class than where you went to uni. I hope this helps !!! :smile:

Congrats!

I also applied at Cambridge but sadly got rejected maybe it was because I got cocky and applied at trinity even though they say that college doesn’t make a difference but a family friend of mine who graduated from there told me otherwise.
Anyways, what college?
Original post by ajj2000
Is the course at Edinburgh for common law?

Nah! Edinburgh doesn't offer common law
Not Exeter - its miles from anywhere, - its only plus point is one new-ish student-hub building, and surf beaches.
Edinburgh - Common Law? Remember that Scottish Law is different.
Leeds or Bristol - good sensible Unis, interesting cities.

Look at 'extras' - any study abroad opportunities, placements, Moot Court, Law Clinic etc etc.
Then look for campus tour films on YouTube, and tourist films for the city.
Reply 9
Original post by Arshdeep S Anand
Nah! Edinburgh doesn't offer common law

Why consider it then?
Original post by McGinger
Not Exeter - its miles from anywhere, - its only plus point is one new-ish student-hub building, and surf beaches.
Edinburgh - Common Law? Remember that Scottish Law is different.
Leeds or Bristol - good sensible Unis, interesting cities.

Look at 'extras' - any study abroad opportunities, placements, Moot Court, Law Clinic etc etc.
Then look for campus tour films on YouTube, and tourist films for the city.

I know Exeter is far from everywhere but I actually love the outdoors and the town vibe as I was actually brought up at the place like that and I also don’t care about the nightlife much as I actually hate clubbing but very much fond of Pubs though but the place is actually a secondary concern for me as we international students already pay hefty fees so getting a good job would be my primary concern.

So how would you actually rank these for securing a good training contract
Original post by ajj2000
Why consider it then?

As it’s the most prestigious of the bunch, if it could get me into a magic circle firm or at other big law firms, I’d very much be willing to give it a shot.
So how would you actually rank these for securing a good training contract

Bristol.

But ultimately it depends on you - you dont come out of any Uni with a golden ticket or a barcode stamped on your forehead that just guarentees you a job.
Your research is so poor that I doubt that you'd be able to distinguish Freshfields from Fieldfisher or Herbert Smith from Travers Smith.
This is the order
Bristol Exeter Leeds
(Edinburgh is presumably Scottish law and no good for you)

(see also https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities-2019 )
Congrats!

I also applied at Cambridge but sadly got rejected maybe it was because I got cocky and applied at trinity even though they say that college doesn’t make a difference but a family friend of mine who graduated from there told me otherwise.
Anyways, what college?

I’m sure you were a very strong candidate, it’s probably just because trinity is heavily oversubscribed. I applied to Girton and also received an offer from them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending