The Student Room Group

UCL vs Edinburgh?? (Physics MSci)

Hey guys I'm really struggling to choose between UCL and Edinburgh ie firm/insurance for Physics Integrated Masters. I consider them equal in terms of grade requirement, expense, reputation, and quality of education. However, I'm struggling to weigh the pros and cons of location, student life, facilities, job ops etc.

Edinburgh is naturally and architecturally beautiful and unique, and I adore the Scottish/musical culture, plus I don't intend on living there long term atm so why would i give up the chance to study there? it would be a good jump from a small to massive city like london (plus royal observatory goes hard) there's also a lot of flexibility ie i can study a language

On the other hand, london is exciting and I'll totally get to live out my main-character city girl life and, coming from a small city in south wales, london seems like an alternate reality especially with the diversity and almost 50/50 split of domestic/international students. plus I've heard there are careers fairs all the time and good mental health support

I know in the end only I can decide where my heart lies but this thread might offer good advice for others going through a similar dilemma (a lucky one to have though!). If you've made a choice between these in the past please reply with your experience!
For me -UCL. Job prospects are high, not only in your chosen subject but studying Physics opens up so many other fields like banking, data analytics etc and for that London is best. UCL is also a target university for many employers.

Even if that is not the case I would still prefer to be in London. If you can live in London, you can live anywhere in the world. The experience of living in a big city will add to your life.

I love Edinburgh and it's beautiful, I can see that you favour it as well specifically being a Harry potter fan. For me, I can find Edinburgh charm in some areas of London but can't find London in Edinburgh. But you do you. Hope you find your answer.
Original post by harrypotterfan7
Hey guys I'm really struggling to choose between UCL and Edinburgh ie firm/insurance for Physics Integrated Masters. I consider them equal in terms of grade requirement, expense, reputation, and quality of education. However, I'm struggling to weigh the pros and cons of location, student life, facilities, job ops etc.

Edinburgh is naturally and architecturally beautiful and unique, and I adore the Scottish/musical culture, plus I don't intend on living there long term atm so why would i give up the chance to study there? it would be a good jump from a small to massive city like london (plus royal observatory goes hard) there's also a lot of flexibility ie i can study a language

On the other hand, london is exciting and I'll totally get to live out my main-character city girl life and, coming from a small city in south wales, london seems like an alternate reality especially with the diversity and almost 50/50 split of domestic/international students. plus I've heard there are careers fairs all the time and good mental health support

I know in the end only I can decide where my heart lies but this thread might offer good advice for others going through a similar dilemma (a lucky one to have though!). If you've made a choice between these in the past please reply with your experience!

Unless you want to go into investment banking or management consulting, the "job prospects" of both are basically equal.

Academically I'd honestly consider Edinburgh better for physics in general, outside of specifically planetary science stuff which UCL has (or at least, had) a focus of. UCL isn't bad for physics but it's not really one of their "major" departments as far as I'm aware.

Regarding the careers activities - all unis have careers fairs. Also a lot of the careers events the careers office at UCL arrange aren't careers fairs as such but specific events about e.g. CV writing and stuff. Which are still useful but again, all unis do those.

Keep in mind too that London is extraordinarily expensive. Edinburgh I gather is also fairly expensive but not at London levels. Remember too that after first year at UCL you would most likely be looking at private rentals with other students, and you may well end up with a 30-40 minute tube commute every morning just to find somewhere affordable (even with the costs of tapping in and tapping out on the tube)!

Edinburgh is also still a large highly regarding university so has a significant international student population, and the "domestic" student population does have diversity too. Scotland isn't just all white Scottish people!
Original post by harrypotterfan7

Hi,
I’m basically in the same situation, so when you decide, could you share what you decided to go with?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by ilovebolgona
Hi,
I’m basically in the same situation, so when you decide, could you share what you decided to go with?
I was in the same situation last year, albeit for chem eng :smile: I ended up choosing edinburgh over ucl, what I can say is the city is beautiful, and the science department is newly renovated. In terms of department, frankly I am a bit underwhelmed, the students arent exactly the most high achieving, and I would reccommend doing direct entry to second year (I didnt). Idk if thats just my weird degree of need for academic pressure (wanted to apply to cambridge which I think would perhaps have suited me better in terms of academic culture, but I chickened out lol :smile: ) so I might be unconsciously projecting my regret and being unfair towards the course. But yea, I havent seen any great career fairs in edinburgh so far, and If you pick it I would reccommend second year entry, alternatively if being chill and flexible is something you appreciate, go for edinburgh first year.
The environment is very diverse, I am greek for instance haha. There are lots of americans and fun trips and events to get involved it, my boyfriend studies at imperial and from what I can tell they are much more isolated in ldn.
Hi,
Thank you so much for the replies. I think I am going to choose somewhere in London instead. My sister studies at imperial and i just prefer being somewhere closer to her. Edinburgh is a beautiful city, but I think the advantages of studying in london just puts it over the top for me. Hopefully, I get a reply from imperial soon! Thank you again 🥰

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending