The Student Room Group

People shouldn’t want makeup inclusivity in countries that aren’t racially diverse

Hear me out before commenting

Let’s take Japan as an example for the purpose of this post. The underwhelming minority of its population, have brown or black skin (I’m not talking about tan). So why should Japanese makeup companies cater to these underwhelming minorities? A business is a business, and they have to make money; it’s not a charity. Catering to these minorities will only make them lose money, as not enough people will buy those shades.

Again, I’m not talking about tan or slightly deeper than average skin, for a Japanese. Japanese brands have a serious problem with shade range when it comes to
inclusivity of their own people; a fair chunk of their population wouldn’t have the perfectly light skin that their products cater for. But in my opinion, they should just improve their shade range when it comes to people of those demographic- and that’s it. My title isn’t fully accurate, but I didn’t have the space to add “total makeup inclusivity”.
People of much deeper skin tones should buy online, or other western brands in Japan whose demographic are struggling brown/dark skinned women looking to buy their correct shade. It would be unfair and, in my opinion, ridiculous, to expect an East Asian business to cater to your *much deeper than average* skin because a fundamental part of a business, is catering to your demographic, as otherwise you would lose money. The narrative I find online doesn’t realise that and frankly, I find it tone deaf.

Obviously, if said Japanese brand were to make such diverse products and sell them online globally, then that’s a great idea. Their demographic would change, and therefore they then should make brown or black shades instead of reinforcing their white skin ideals, which are only making them not as popular as they could be.

Same for any other country. Why should South Indian brands, whose demographic are South Indians, have light shades if the majority of their population isn’t light? They would only lose money. Etc

Countries that have skin inclusivity of all shades, from pale all the way to dark, is because they can still get profit, because enough racial diversity exists in their country. Take America and the U.K. as examples. (It took them long to realise though, hence why a few years ago, shade ranged weren’t diverse to cater brown or black skin)
Original post by Sha.xo527

Let’s take Japan as an example for the purpose of this post. The underwhelming minority of its population, have brown or black skin (I’m not talking about tan). So why should Japanese makeup companies cater to these underwhelming minorities? A business is a business, and they have to make money; it’s not a charity. Catering to these minorities will only make them lose money, as not enough people will buy those shades.

Again, I’m not talking about tan or slightly deeper than average skin, for a Japanese. Japanese brands have a serious problem with shade range when it comes to
inclusivity of their own people; a fair chunk of their population wouldn’t have the perfectly light skin that their products cater for. But in my opinion, they should just improve their shade range when it comes to people of those demographic- and that’s it. My title isn’t fully accurate, but I didn’t have the space to add “total makeup inclusivity”.
People of much deeper skin tones should buy online, or other western brands in Japan whose demographic are struggling brown/dark skinned women looking to buy their correct shade. It would be unfair and, in my opinion, ridiculous, to expect an East Asian business to cater to your *much deeper than average* skin because a fundamental part of a business, is catering to your demographic, as otherwise you would lose money. The narrative I find online doesn’t realise that and frankly, I find it tone deaf.

Obviously, if said Japanese brand were to make such diverse products and sell them online globally, then that’s a great idea. Their demographic would change, and therefore they then should make brown or black shades instead of reinforcing their white skin ideals, which are only making them not as popular as they could be.

Same for any other country. Why should South Indian brands, whose demographic are South Indians, have light shades if the majority of their population isn’t light? They would only lose money. Etc

Countries that have skin inclusivity of all shades, from pale all the way to dark, is because they can still get profit, because enough racial diversity exists in their country. Take America and the U.K. as examples. (It took them long to realise though, hence why a few years ago, shade ranged weren’t diverse to cater brown or black skin)

Your "minority of its population" argument would also suggest that retail businesses should not be obligated to install ramps and make other provisions for those in wheelchairs, if such persons represent a minority of their customers. Similarly, a paintball company should not be obligated to make toilet facilities for females if they represent a minority of their customers. After all, "A business is a business, and they have to make money; it’s not a charity."

Have I understood your argument correctly?
Nobody is forcing these companies to produce makeup that is suitable for a diverse audience. If they are doing it then it would be deliberate strategy to sell their products to as large an audience as possible. It's either that or just a coincidence, makeup already comes in various shades.

Why do you care?

Makeup companies cater to ethnic minorities because there's still money to be made in doing so.

A new makeup company would probably cater for the skin tones of the majority first, as they're developing and refine their business and need enough money to see them through that process. But after that it's a matter of economies of scale. Once they have their factories, supply chains, sales outlets etc. up and running it's barely any extra sweat off their back just to add extra colours - it's not like they have to build an entirely new business or product from scratch. So they may as well do it because it increases their customer base and earns them additional revenue for very little cost.
Makeup products are also about providing customers with easy access to the tools for emulating their favourite celeb looks.
As well as a relatively inexpensive means of changing their natural appearance as a way of standing out in a crowd with a very eyecatching use of makeup or expressing their artistic creativity.

Most companies in the beauty industry are willing to consider expanding their ranges to cater to customer requests or attempt to gain new customers currently being served by competitors.
Reply 5

Please get yourself a GCSE book on business and open the chapter about market segmentation.

The whole point of offering makeup to minorities is because they open up huge new markets of people which before hand no option to buy makeup and consequently make huge profits. And when you look at the global market for makeup, I think you will find that the minority are actually people with pale skin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending