The Student Room Group

Finding Yourself

I think it's hard to find yourself when you're constantly surrounded by other people whether at work or at school. We're constantly told who we should be and what we should do with our lives and how we should act, that we become very susceptible to other people's wants and desires instead of our own.

I used to want everybody to like me. I tried to get on with everyone whether at school or on social media, and thus I was way too eager to please everyone. However as an adult, I've learned that you need self-respect and you need to look out for yourself over and above anyone else. Yes, helping people is a lovely thing, provided those people don't use and abuse you. Trust isn't something you can hand out like a bunch of flowers to your significant other, you gotta save any trust for those you've known for a long time. I also used to overly trust people I barely knew, and the results have been disastrous at times. If you don't know somebody, you don't know what they're capable of. You've really got to watch your back out there, but at the same time you also need to be yourself and let that out whenever you feel safe in doing so.

Don't be afraid to be yourself wherever you are and whatever you're dealing with. Let your soul out there and you'll be the best you you can possibly be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending