The Student Room Group

OCR chemistry weak acid and base question

I done part a and got 2.73 but I'm not sure how to do part b
Reply 1
Original post by esha06

Original post by esha06

Sodium ethanoate contains CH3COO^- ions, which are the conjugate base of ethanoic acid, CH3COOH.

What has happened is you have formed a buffer solution containing 0.1 mol of CH3COO^- ions and 0.2 mol of CH3COOH and so now it is no longer true that [CH3COO^-] = [H^+].

Let [H^+] = x. Use the Ka expression again and solve for x. After finding x, what might be the logical thing to do with it?
Reply 3
Original post by TypicalNerd
Sodium ethanoate contains CH3COO^- ions, which are the conjugate base of ethanoic acid, CH3COOH.

What has happened is you have formed a buffer solution containing 0.1 mol of CH3COO^- ions and 0.2 mol of CH3COOH and so now it is no longer true that [CH3COO^-] = [H^+].

Let [H^+] = x. Use the Ka expression again and solve for x. After finding x, what might be the logical thing to do with it?

use -log[H^+]

so im just rearranging the Ka= [H^+][A^-]/[HA] right?

also when using the formula it doesn't matter that I don't have the volume because it cancels out right?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by esha06
use -log[H^+]

so im just rearranging the Ka= [H^+][A^-]/[HA] right?

also when using the formula it doesn't matter that I don't have the volume because it cancels out right?

Everything in your post is correct.

So have you managed to find the pH?
Reply 5
Everything in your post is correct.

So have you managed to find the pH?

yes i got 4.45

thank you!
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by esha06
yes i got 4.45

thank you!

I (almost) agree with your answer. Have you looked at the third decimal place and rounded accordingly?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 7
I (almost) agree with your answer. Have you looked at the third decimal place and rounded accordingly?

whoops... 4.46
Original post by esha06
whoops... 4.46

Perfect. It’s great to see you mastered the method so quickly and were able to spot that the volumes cancel in the Ka expression so there is no need to actually find the concentrations

Quick Reply

Latest