The Student Room Group

Would I get on disabled student allowance?

I am deaf in my right ear and struggle quite a lot to hear people, even with a hearing aid. Would I be likely to receive disabled student allowance?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by eliask1
I am dear in my right ear and struggle quite a lot to hear people, even with a hearing aid. Would I be likely to receive disabled student allowance?

Hello!
I am also a deaf student which receives DSA. From my experience, I underwent an assessment where someone talked through everything that I struggle with and together we decided what I would need to best support me at my time at university. In my personal opinion I would agree that you should receive DSA, but definitely have a think about what you particularly struggle with before your assessment and make sure you get the help you need. Also when you apply, make sure you submit as much evidence (hospital and diagnoses letters) to help you get an assessment and ultimately the allowance.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask anymore questions,
Lucy (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello!
I am also a deaf student which receives DSA. From my experience, I underwent an assessment where someone talked through everything that I struggle with and together we decided what I would need to best support me at my time at university. In my personal opinion I would agree that you should receive DSA, but definitely have a think about what you particularly struggle with before your assessment and make sure you get the help you need. Also when you apply, make sure you submit as much evidence (hospital and diagnoses letters) to help you get an assessment and ultimately the allowance.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask anymore questions,
Lucy (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

How generous is it? I've heard it goes up to £25,000 but to me that sounds almost too good to be true. What kind of support do you receive additionally?
Original post by eliask1
How generous is it? I've heard it goes up to £25,000 but to me that sounds almost too good to be true. What kind of support do you receive additionally?

Hi,

I am not personally deaf, but I do receive a DSA for mental health reasons.

For me, it has been beneficial to apply for it. I have received:
-1:1 helper, pretty much whenever I need her.
-Printer with ink and paper allowance.
-Different software for my laptop to help.
-It was also really useful for the university because they were able to make an additional needs plan.

Hope this helps,

Tyler (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending