The Student Room Group

Just got diagnosed with ADHD; what is the Student Finance process like?

I want to seek treatment now for my ADHD but its really expensive so Im thinking of applying to the Student Finance allowance for ppl like me. The problem is that for everything to be complete, it will take around 6-14 weeks, with me contacting an assessment centre to give a letter outlining the treatment I need and the costs etc. I just want to get straight into treatment, but is it worth it to wait it out so I don't use up a lot of costs?
I personally think that DSA is worth it.

Disabled Students Allowance is there to help towards study related expenses as a result of your disability:

https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowance-dsa
Original post by Anonymous #1
I want to seek treatment now for my ADHD but its really expensive so Im thinking of applying to the Student Finance allowance for ppl like me. The problem is that for everything to be complete, it will take around 6-14 weeks, with me contacting an assessment centre to give a letter outlining the treatment I need and the costs etc. I just want to get straight into treatment, but is it worth it to wait it out so I don't use up a lot of costs?

It depends what you mean by treatment. If you are looking for medication to manage your ADHD then your GP may be able to prescribe this as long as you already have an official diagnosis of the condition. If you dont have a diagnosis you could ask your GP to refer you to private assessment and titration under the NHS right to choose, but there are very long waiting lists for this atm.

Quick Reply

Latest