The Student Room Group

Word count excess

Hi, I just wanted to ask here, I submitted the final exam OM module online exam on 11 January, and the word count was limited to 2500, but my word count reached 4250 words and I submitted the assignment without checking the module handbook. also, the word count wasn't mentioned in the cover sheet, so I thought that there were no word limitations.
Now, I am afraid, does anyone know here what will happen??
Reply 1
They will stop reading after the prescribed limit and everything after will not contribute toward the assessment criteria or the mark.
Original post by Zabii
Hi, I just wanted to ask here, I submitted the final exam OM module online exam on 11 January, and the word count was limited to 2500, but my word count reached 4250 words and I submitted the assignment without checking the module handbook. also, the word count wasn't mentioned in the cover sheet, so I thought that there were no word limitations.

Hi @Zabii

I’m afraid that once they’ve read to the word limit of 2500, they’ll stop reading and mark it based on the first 2500 words. I know this isn’t what you want to hear and is probably disappointing, but the best thing you can do is just to ensure you’re thorough in double-checking word limits, formatting and things of that nature in the future

I hope this helps

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield
Original post by Zabii

Hi @Zabii,

As some of the replies have already addressed your current situation, I thought I'd offer some advice that helped me with word counts.

When I was a student, I found working to the word count to be one of the more difficult things to get to grips with as I had a tendency to overexplain everything and add so much fluff to my work as I would start an assignment thinking I would struggle to hit the word count. What you'll find though is that you'll hit word counts very easily.

The best thing to do is go in with a plan and break up the word count for sections based on mark allocation, and give yourself more words for sections that are worth more marks.

It does take time to develop a habit of it and takes practice but hopefully it helps further down the line as it's likely you won't be able to do much about your current situation.

Hope this helps,

James
Reply 4
The other lesson si to read the spec sheet and handbook - this could have easily been avoided.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending