The Student Room Group

2000 word academic report on language?

I'm doing an English Studies access course and one of my assignments is to write a 2000 word academic report on AAVE. If this was an essay, I'd be good with the layout, I've written 2000 word essays easily before. But the format of an academic report is confusing me. It's a bit short for a report, will probably only be 3-4 pages on Word. Do I need a whole separate title page? How do I fit this all into 2000 words, with references and bibliography included? There's 3 parts to the report, 3 different sections I have to write about. Idk, I've never written a report before and this online course does Not offer much information about it.
Reply 1
Original post by milesarchives
I'm doing an English Studies access course and one of my assignments is to write a 2000 word academic report on AAVE. If this was an essay, I'd be good with the layout, I've written 2000 word essays easily before. But the format of an academic report is confusing me. It's a bit short for a report, will probably only be 3-4 pages on Word. Do I need a whole separate title page? How do I fit this all into 2000 words, with references and bibliography included? There's 3 parts to the report, 3 different sections I have to write about. Idk, I've never written a report before and this online course does Not offer much information about it.

The bibliography isn't included in the word count. Only the in-text citations are included. Try the following breakdown.

Full question at top of essay
Introduction 100-250 words
Section 1 500-600 words
Section 2. 500-600
Section 3 500-600
Conclusion 100-250
Bibliography (not incl in word count)

You may need to rejig the word counts depending on whether some sections are more important than others

You don't need a separate title page.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cheadle
The bibliography isn't included in the word count. Only the in-text citations are included. Try the following breakdown.

Full question at top of essay
Introduction 100-250 words
Section 1 500-600 words
Section 2. 500-600
Section 3 500-600
Conclusion 100-250
Bibliography (not incl in word count)

You may need to rejig the word counts depending on whether some sections are more important than others

You don't need a separate title page.

thank you!
Reply 3
Just looking at your original post again - and as this is a report rather than an essay - you might make the purpose of the first section to provide the necessary background on AAVE including defiiitons of any relevant terminology. Not sure how the other 2 sections would be divvied up. Two could be looking at what research has been done? And the third could be where you would have your discussion of the research themes?
Reply 4
Original post by milesarchives

Can you email the online course tutors with anything you are not sure about..eg do they want an introduction and conclusion - at a guess brief ones would be good. Do they want a title page and contents page? I imagine a title and contents page might be good.

They are allowed to offer some guidance. I guess you don't need anyone to say this as you have obviously written essays for this course, but you presumably know to do academic writing and know about choosing reliable sources etc and how many sources you are aiming for.
My daughter did an access course and I recall it was important to pay very close attention to exactly what the assignment asked for.
(edited 11 months ago)
Sorry about that, can I help you fo this one?
Reply 6
The word count for your essay doesn't encompass the bibliography; only the in-text citations are counted. Consider the following structure:

Begin with a full question at the beginning of your essay.
Craft an introduction spanning 100-250 words.
Allocate 500-600 words for each of the following sections: Section 1, Section 2, and Section 3.
Summarize your essay with a conclusion of 100-250 words.
Remember that the bibliography is not included in the word count.
Feel free to adjust the word counts for each section based on their relative importance. Additionally, you don't need a separate title for your essay.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending