The Student Room Group

Exponent graph thing

Pleaseeee someone help me with this question I’ve tried so many times and can’t seem to get the hang of it

The diagram shows a sketch of the graph with equation y = ab^-x

P(3, 0.75)
P is a point on the graph with coordinates (3, 0.75)
Work out the value of a and the value of b.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by precipitous-upla
Pleaseeee someone help me with this question I’ve tried so many times and can’t seem to get the hang of it

The diagram shows a sketch of the graph with equation y = ab^-x

P(3, 0.75)
P is a point on the graph with coordinates (3, 0.75)
Work out the value of a and the value of b.

It would help to see the graph, so what is the value when x=0 and what does that tell you about "a". Then use the given point P to infer the value of "b" which I guess can be done without a calculator.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by mqb2766
It would help to see the graph, so what is the value when x=0 and what does that tell you about "a". Then use the given point P to infer the value of "b" which I guess can be done without a calculator.

Can it really be done in that way? I would get y = a for x = 0. Don't see how this helps, as the point P has a different x value.
Reply 3
Original post by Kallisto
Can it really be done in that way? I would get y = a for x = 0. Don't see how this helps, as the point P has a different x value.

Im presuming/guessing the graph has the axis crossing point marked on. As the OP didnt post it, its probably
https://p16-ehi-va.gauthmath.com/tos-maliva-i-ejcjvp0zxf-us/7adf912d3ff241159e0adff3f9196276~tplv-ejcjvp0zxf-webp-scale:746:851.webp
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by mqb2766
Im presuming/guessing the graph has the axis crossing point marked on. As the OP didnt post it, its probably
https://p16-ehi-va.gauthmath.com/tos-maliva-i-ejcjvp0zxf-us/7adf912d3ff241159e0adff3f9196276~tplv-ejcjvp0zxf-webp-scale:746:851.webp

Okay, with this information and a second point from the graph, your solution makes sense. The value a should be a piece of cake now.

Quick Reply

Latest