The Student Room Group

Invalid Criticism after group discussion

Allow me to begin, I am from India pursuing a degree in MBA we have variety of subjects on finance, marketing you name it we also have a subject for credit which has no assessment. Its called personal skills for business, you see from the very first day the teacher was critical of our batch saying we are not groomed we should be groomed need to comb need to do this and that and I get it our university is preparing us for the corporate world but too much on the nose
Anyway case in point we had to do a group discussion my team got the topic beti bachao beti padhao (from hindi translated to english means save the daughter, teach the daughter) for those who are unaware allow me to elucidate, you see female foeticide is a big problem in north india particularly in rural areas especially in Haryana and UP. This scheme was brought up to ensure girls are educated and protected, great scheme and for a time it was a success but since laws dont enforce this lot of fathers still refuse their daughters education forcing them to get married and dont even get me started on the physical and mental abuse the women face....so when this topic was given I brought up points of misogny why many fathers force their wives to undergo abortion if they detect the child is female, thats why India brought up the law that you cannot detect the sex of child before birth to reduce female foeticide, as it happens I said while this scheme is wonderful we need to look at the root cause taht is misogny as well as female foeticide and why laws arent protecting women's rights, I love my nation but i'm not a blind patriot, you need to acknoledge the problems, address them and take steps for betterment..after I made my points my teacher said I speak rubbish, however pick any indian newspaper or surf on google you will find cases of foeticide and misogny, the scheme beti bachao beti padhao has brought changes but still as of now the scheme is failing, I suggested strong laws against abuse and all that the father will be answerable if he refuses to let his daughter education and my teacher said everything I speak is rubbish, what surprised me even more is that she herself is a woman and an educated woman a Phd...Im at a loss of words I can handle genuine criticsm on my grades, on my ppts but this baffles me, even my peers were surprised at her narrow thinking in fact the teacher supported the point of a guy who defended Indian parents not allowing their duaghters to study abroad out of fear of safety as if India is safe for women, as of now india is ranked high in cases of sexual assault, violation etc harsh reality is that my country is not safe for women and lot of women are not allowed ot grow in rural areas, look I brought up some ugly truths which the teacher clearly could not handle, my question is how do I deal with her?
Reply 1
Original post by Eternius
Allow me to begin, I am from India pursuing a degree in MBA we have variety of subjects on finance, marketing you name it we also have a subject for credit which has no assessment. Its called personal skills for business, you see from the very first day the teacher was critical of our batch saying we are not groomed we should be groomed need to comb need to do this and that and I get it our university is preparing us for the corporate world but too much on the nose
Anyway case in point we had to do a group discussion my team got the topic beti bachao beti padhao (from hindi translated to english means save the daughter, teach the daughter) for those who are unaware allow me to elucidate, you see female foeticide is a big problem in north india particularly in rural areas especially in Haryana and UP. This scheme was brought up to ensure girls are educated and protected, great scheme and for a time it was a success but since laws dont enforce this lot of fathers still refuse their daughters education forcing them to get married and dont even get me started on the physical and mental abuse the women face....so when this topic was given I brought up points of misogny why many fathers force their wives to undergo abortion if they detect the child is female, thats why India brought up the law that you cannot detect the sex of child before birth to reduce female foeticide, as it happens I said while this scheme is wonderful we need to look at the root cause taht is misogny as well as female foeticide and why laws arent protecting women's rights, I love my nation but i'm not a blind patriot, you need to acknoledge the problems, address them and take steps for betterment..after I made my points my teacher said I speak rubbish, however pick any indian newspaper or surf on google you will find cases of foeticide and misogny, the scheme beti bachao beti padhao has brought changes but still as of now the scheme is failing, I suggested strong laws against abuse and all that the father will be answerable if he refuses to let his daughter education and my teacher said everything I speak is rubbish, what surprised me even more is that she herself is a woman and an educated woman a Phd...Im at a loss of words I can handle genuine criticsm on my grades, on my ppts but this baffles me, even my peers were surprised at her narrow thinking in fact the teacher supported the point of a guy who defended Indian parents not allowing their duaghters to study abroad out of fear of safety as if India is safe for women, as of now india is ranked high in cases of sexual assault, violation etc harsh reality is that my country is not safe for women and lot of women are not allowed ot grow in rural areas, look I brought up some ugly truths which the teacher clearly could not handle, my question is how do I deal with her?

Firstly, put some deodorant on. I have some students who go for the natural smell and my room absolutely stinks after they have left. It is really quite revolting.

But secondly I think what you are facing is a clash of cultures. I get a sense from your post that it is acceptable where you come from to talk very openly about intimate and difficult issues in a matter-of-fact way. In the UK we are a bit more reserved and there are unwritten rules about how you conduct yourself in discussions of a sensitive nature.

Rather than ask the question - "How do I deal with her?" why don't you reflect on your own behaviour in that discussion. In the next discussion, why not say nothing and instead follow very closely the interaction between the teacher and the other students. How do they frame their answers or make their points? How can you change so that you are able to communicate more effectively?
Reply 2
Firstly this occured in India teacher is an Indian so no clash of cultures I assure you, and there was no interaction between teacher and student she sat there in the corner we were discussing and she observed, and for the deodorant I assure you all of us were in formals and were well groomed, since you are not from India the problems I said are literally in every Indian paper, and many articles have said why the save and educate girl scheme has failed, you said check your behaviour I assure you I was perfectly behaved what happened was I raised some ugly truths which I surmise our teacher was not ready to digest....which is surprising considering she lives in India and yet is deaf to the issues that plague our nation...also If we stay silent she will grade us less so staying silent is not an option
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending