The Student Room Group

Does work really pays?

If you don’t work, you can get social housing, benefits and then when you retire pension credit. The chances of me buying a house where I live is rarely rare. I know people that live in my area, they have never worked, living in social housing. Also if they want to buy they get a massive discount. How is that fair.
1: You have the same option, can't really moan about fairness when it's a choice.

2: Life on benefits is generally miserable, the idea of spending a whole life in a situation that constantly precarious does not appeal

Reply 2
Firstly, you can't get a council house simply by virtue of not working, you have to go on a waiting list that is often long with priority given on the basis of need.

A single person aged over 25 who is out of work is entitled to a pitiful £368/month and housing benefit that will cover rent for something at the bottom of the local rental market. That is pretty sodding miserable. Even minimum wage full time employment will put you in a better financial situation. It will also likely put you in a healthier situation.

So, yes, work does pay.
Reply 3
Original post by Peter100121
If you don’t work, you can get social housing, benefits and then when you retire pension credit. The chances of me buying a house where I live is rarely rare. I know people that live in my area, they have never worked, living in social housing. Also if they want to buy they get a massive discount. How is that fair.

And do you think you would be happy living in a horrendous B+B accommodation with mouldy rooms whilst you wait 10-15 years to be accommodated in an equally grim area?

I find it bizarre how some people in this world will travel through war, be abused and face some of the most dangerous situations to better their lives yet faced with the same problems of lack of opportunity people in this country seem completely unable to help themselves at all? You have options:

get a job that pays more

buy a house with someone else and share it

move to a different part of the country that has better opportunities either to earn more money or buy a house

Then in a few years when you have made more money / got a foot on the ladder, you can move back.
Didn't we have this debate a while ago?
Reply 5
It pays monthly, sometimes weekly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending