The Student Room Group

SLT undergrad Manchester or Sheffield?

I've applied to Uni of Manchester and Uni of Sheffield and I'm trying to decide between the two. I was set on Sheffield, especially because of the cheap living costs and the city itself, but I looked into the student satisfaction ratings and they seem quite high in Manchester and the costs wouldn't be too different. I'm looking for some info on the unis and life in these cities, especially interested in thoughts on the courses if anyone is doing them that would be much appreciated!
Original post by bqnzz
I've applied to Uni of Manchester and Uni of Sheffield and I'm trying to decide between the two. I was set on Sheffield, especially because of the cheap living costs and the city itself, but I looked into the student satisfaction ratings and they seem quite high in Manchester and the costs wouldn't be too different. I'm looking for some info on the unis and life in these cities, especially interested in thoughts on the courses if anyone is doing them that would be much appreciated!

Hi,
Student satisfaction can be a good measure of how good the courses are, because it informs you if previous students have enjoyed it and if there's been a good quality of teaching. Also look online at the course you are wanting to study at both universities and what modules you can expect to study, as the same course at different uni's will cover different modules, so see which of these your prefer.
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by bqnzz

Hi,
University choice is a very personal thing so it depends what you are looking for. In terms of cities, Manchester and Sheffield are quite different. Manchester is a much busier city and the university is incorporated into the city much more. Sheffield is a bit less busy and has lots more green spaces, and the University feels more like a campus within the city. So the university buildings are all close together but within the city. It may be worth visiting the cities and universities if you get a chance, so you can work out which one you would prefer to live in.
You can chat to one of our current speech and language students on our website and they will be able to give you some more insight into the course specifically. https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat They may have a similar chat function for Manchester students too.
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending