The Student Room Group

Confused about uni for employability

I am an international student coming to the uk in fall 24 to study masters in advanced computer science. I have 12 offers but the ones I'm seriously considering are University of Manchester, University of Liverpool, University of Nottingham and Qmul. I will save about 15k if i pick liverpool over the other two. 1. Is paying close to 50k overall (for Manchester or qmul) worth it? ( Liverpool will be about 35k overall) 2. Will it lead to better job prospects than if i were to go to Liverpool. 3. How much do employers care about uni rankings and prestige since Manchester is way higher ranked and prestigious. I don't mind paying extra if it leads to substantially better career outcomes. Looking desparately for advice since I need to respond to my offers. Also have an offer from Kcl but that's completely unaffordable. How much does faang and big tech companies care about uni rankings. Will I be fine I go to any rg.
Original post by Naviisia
I am an international student coming to the uk in fall 24 to study masters in advanced computer science. I have 12 offers but the ones I'm seriously considering are University of Manchester, University of Liverpool, University of Nottingham and Qmul. I will save about 15k if i pick liverpool over the other two. 1. Is paying close to 50k overall (for Manchester or qmul) worth it? ( Liverpool will be about 35k overall) 2. Will it lead to better job prospects than if i were to go to Liverpool. 3. How much do employers care about uni rankings and prestige since Manchester is way higher ranked and prestigious. I don't mind paying extra if it leads to substantially better career outcomes. Looking desparately for advice since I need to respond to my offers. Also have an offer from Kcl but that's completely unaffordable. How much does faang and big tech companies care about uni rankings. Will I be fine I go to any rg.

The difference between employment with a degree from Liverpool or Manchester will be due to your personal characteristics, not the institution. Ditto Nottingham and QMUL, which might be marginally less well known. But employers are not that granular in their approach to degrees, they care more about people.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
The difference between employment with a degree from Liverpool or Manchester will be due to your personal characteristics, not the institution. Ditto Nottingham and QMUL, which might be marginally less well known. But employers are not that granular in their approach to degrees, they care more about people.

Wait are you that liverpool is better than qm and Notts? Or were you just saying that in a comparative location distance based thing
Reply 3
For most fields where you do a masters is pretty unimportant compared with previous education and working history. Masters degrees just are not such a big deal in the UK as some other countries.
Reply 4
When it comes to Computer science, employers will not care remotely whether you went to Liverpool or Manchester. What they will want to know is what programming languages are you competent & can you demonstrate your competency in tests/assessments? can you show any mini projects you may have done e.g on Github etc employers will what work experience have you got? Liverpool is a great university, grab yourself a bargain and save £15k.
Reply 5
The University of Manchester is literally the place where the first computer as we know it was created. The famous Alan Turing, Enigma machine creator during WW2, worked there.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Makro
When it comes to Computer science, employers will not care remotely whether you went to Liverpool or Manchester. What they will want to know is what programming languages are you competent & can you demonstrate your competency in tests/assessments? can you show any mini projects you may have done e.g on Github etc employers will what work experience have you got? Liverpool is a great university, grab yourself a bargain and save £15k.

Thank you so much, just what I wanted to hear, I'll go ahead with liverpool then. Cheers
Reply 7
Original post by Picnicl
The University of Manchester is literally the place where the first computer as we know it was created.

Yes I'm aware but will the uni give a significant boost to my job prospects as an international compared to my other more affordable yet similarly ranked locally options
Reply 8
Yes I'm aware but will the uni give a significant boost to my job prospects as an international compared to my other more affordable yet similarly ranked locally options

Yes it would. University of Liverpool is regarded as lower league than University of Manchester and, whilst I don't think either are particularly 'fashionable' these days, University of Manchester has had 25 Nobel Prize winners, University of Liverpool 10. Liverpool is significantly easier to gain admittance to than Manchester. Manchester has a slightly higher percentage of staff conducting high quality research and Manchester has a slightly higher quality of overall research.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Picnicl
Yes it would. University of Liverpool is not regarded as in the same league as University of Manchester and, whilst I don't think either are particularly 'fashionable' these days, University of Manchester has had 25 Nobel Prize winners, University of Liverpool 10.

Which ones would you say are 'fashionable' have offers from bath, Birmingham, etc as well but not too keen on any of them tbh
Reply 10
Which ones would you say are 'fashionable' have offers from bath, Birmingham, etc as well but not too keen on any of them tbh

The recent QS World University Rankings for Computer Science schools:
Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh, UCL, KCL, Manchester, Warwick, Queen Mary, Lancaster,

Topuniversities.com also states that Leicester, Loughborough, and De Montfort have placements for their graduates available in the UK and internationally at places such as Pepsico, Sony, Microsoft, and HSBC.

TheCompleteUniversityGuide states that these places, in order, admit the Computer Science students who've obtained the highest grades (remember that Scottish students enter at the age of 17, not 18, so Scottish universities might sometimes appear to have more qualified students than is the case as Scottish students Highers are designed for 17 year olds):

Imperial, Cambridge, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Glasgow, Oxford, UCL, Strathclyde, Warwick, Durham, Bath, Manchester (12th), Bristol, KCL,
Joint 15th: Heriot-Watt. Southampton.
Dundee, Leeds, Abertay, Birmingham, Aberdeen, Sheffield, Exeter, Nottingham, Loughborough.
Liverpool is in joint 39th position with ex-polytechnic Northumbria University, above Surrey, Leicester, and Reading.

If you've got the grades for Manchester for Computer Science then you should be looking well above Liverpool imo. You know The Beatles don't live there anymore? 😉
I'd strongly consider looking at King's College London too.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Picnicl
I'm going off percentage of offers compared to applicants, for all subjects, then I'll see which actually offer Computer Science:
Oxford then Cambridge.
St Andrews remains fashionable as a university in general but the isolated small setting wouldn't suit me and its facilities for Computer Science look old.
LSE, UCL, Edinburgh, Imperial, King's College London, St George's University of London, University of The Arts London, Queen Margaret University Edinburgh, Leeds Arts University (joint 15th), University of Manchester (joint 15th), University of Bristol, University of Bath, London South Bank University, City University of London.
It seems to me that some London universities, possibly because of location, may attract a lot of applicants regardless of their overall ranking on quality however some of them do still have a prestige of being old by origin.
Other notables and their placing:
28 Keele
29 Glasgow
30 Birmingham
31 Queen Mary, University of London
33 Surrey
34 Warwick (some people will go on here talking as if loads of people want to get in Warwick. It's barely harder for its applicants to get in to than ex-polytechnic University of Sunderland (35th). Obviously it's objectively harder to have the grades necessary to make an applicant likely to put Warwick as their choice but, aside from Mathematics, in which Warwick is highly regarded, and anyone who wants to potentially see famous feminist and English teacher Dr Germaine Greer, there's not necessarily a big clamour to be studying at a place that looks like a sports centre meets travel lodge).
Joint 37th Exeter. Stirling.
47 Loughborough
48 Leicester
50 Nottingham
52 Cardiff
55 Queen's University Belfast
Joint 56th.Liverpool. Southampton.
72 Sheffield
78 Aberdeen
91 Newcastle
94 York (it may surprise some people how relatively easy it is for an applicant to the University of York to get in. That kind of campus certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea. Interesting to look at, not necessarily interesting to live there). And, unlike Warwick, it's never had that powerhouse subject on which it can definitively take on others.
107 Reading
112 Lancaster

The recent QS World University Rankings for Computer Science schools:
Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh, UCL, KCL, Manchester, Warwick, Queen Mary, Lancaster,

Topuniversities.com also states that Leicester, Loughborough, and De Montfort have placements for their graduates available in the UK and internationally at places such as Pepsico, Sony, Microsoft, and HSBC.

TheCompleteUniversityGuide states that these places, in order, admit the Computer Science students who've obtained the highest grades (remember that Scottish students enter at the age of 17, not 18, so Scottish universities might sometimes appear to have more qualified students than is the case as Scottish students Highers are designed for 17 year olds):

Imperial, Cambridge, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Glasgow, Oxford, UCL, Strathclyde, Warwick, Durham, Bath, Manchester (12th), Bristol, KCL,
Joint 15th: Heriot-Watt. Southampton.
Dundee, Leeds, Abertay, Birmingham, Aberdeen, Sheffield, Exeter, Nottingham, Loughborough.
Liverpool is in joint 39th position with ex-polytechnic Northumbria University, above Surrey, Leicester, and Reading.

If you've got the grades for Manchester for Computer Science then you should be looking well above Liverpool imo. You know The Beatles don't live there anymore? 😉
I'd strongly consider looking at King's College London too.

Are you figures based on undergrad applications? If so is this meaningful to someone applying for a postgrad degree?

If you think Manchester is better than Liverpool do you think it is £15k a year better and if so why?
Reply 12
Original post by ajj2000
Are you figures based on undergrad applications? If so is this meaningful to someone applying for a postgrad degree?

If you think Manchester is better than Liverpool do you think it is £15k a year better and if so why?

It's more difficult to find rankings for postgraduate study but findamasters.com suggests the top are (I've ordered them based on average of the different ranking criteria):
Joint first: Cambridge and Oxford
Imperial
UCL
Edinburgh
Manchester
King's College London
Bristol
LSE
Glasgow
Warwick
Nottingham
Sheffield
Liverpool
Exeter

So Liverpool ranks well at a postgraduate level compared to an undergraduate level. As cities, neither is a favourite to me though.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending