The Student Room Group

applying to UK uni without going to US high school?

so my girlfriend lives in the US and im in the UK and shes looking to move here preferably on a student visa next year, were both almost 18
however, she only finished middle school then dropped out but really wants to study Computing/IT in the UK
shes has no qualifications which is making this pretty difficult, but i found out that she could take an SAT test as an equivelant to a levels (i think)
i have a couple questions about the process:

1. do UK unis accept SAT scores?
2. can she apply/take the test online/at home?
3. is it just one test she would need to take?
4. is there anything she would need to prepare for?
5. is the SAT an equivelant to a levels or GCSE?
6. is it possible to go to a UK uni with only an SAT score?
6. anything important that we should know that might be helpful?

any information/advice would be great thank you!!
I believe typically it's required to have completed high school studies (HS diploma or GED) and in any event UK universities will more or less universally require US students to have done APs or IB or another A-level equivalent.

The SAT is not equivalent to (or replacement for) either GCSEs or A-levels. It's a university admissions test, effectively. Not all UK universities require it from US students, so she would need to investigate ona case by case basis. In terms of level of content it's roughly GCSE level material although the question format is very different and a lot of success on the SAT circles around just knowing how to do the test and approach the questions (i.e. "exam technique").

As far as I am aware the SAT can only be taken at an official test centre, and it consists of two sections, taking about 3-4 hours I believe (the old one I did had 3 sections and took longer).

Realistically she should look at either a) just doing A-levels by distance learning or otherwise or b) getting her GED and doing APs or c) going to community college in the US to get her AA and then applying in the UK (she'd probably still be applying for first year entry in this case though).

No matter what, it's not possible to go to university in the UK after having left school before the equivalent of GCSE study and not having completed any further study since then. Even if somehow a university did accept her (a few less scrupulous ones maybe...), she would be wholly unprepared for the course and likely struggle immensely and quite possibly drop out (or fail out). Which doesn't really help her at all.
Original post by tubbo13
so my girlfriend lives in the US and im in the UK and shes looking to move here preferably on a student visa next year, were both almost 18
however, she only finished middle school then dropped out but really wants to study Computing/IT in the UK
shes has no qualifications which is making this pretty difficult, but i found out that she could take an SAT test as an equivelant to a levels (i think)
i have a couple questions about the process:

1. do UK unis accept SAT scores?
2. can she apply/take the test online/at home?
3. is it just one test she would need to take?
4. is there anything she would need to prepare for?
5. is the SAT an equivelant to a levels or GCSE?
6. is it possible to go to a UK uni with only an SAT score?
6. anything important that we should know that might be helpful?

any information/advice would be great thank you!!

Hi @tubbo13

This may not be the case with all UK universities, but please find guidance from our website about US applicants:

"For entry into Year 1 on our programmes, students must offer the following qualifications: US High School Diploma with a minimum GPA of 3.0.

And one of the following:

SAT 1 with a minimum score of 1290

3AP tests with minimum 4,4,3

ACT with a minimum score of 27

Please note where the course has a subject specific entry requirement you will need to provide an AP or IB test score in that subject, at a minimum 4 in AP or 5 in IB (ideally at Higher Level).

Our minimum entry requirements are the equivalent of A levels BBB or IB 30 points, with 5,5,5 in Higher Level Subjects. If you have other standardised tests or combinations of tests, including Honours Classes please reach out to our International Office."

So it looks like your girlfriend may need to get her high school diploma, or take a GED as an alternative and then take the SAT.

Best wishes,
Lewis

Social media and content officer, University of Huddersfield
(edited 2 months ago)
Most unis require AP exams or college credit, as that is the equivalent to A-Levels. The SAT scores mentioned by some unis may be incorrectly referencing Subject SATs, which have been discontinued since COVID. Some schools may take the regular SAT score, but it won't do much since other students from the US will be applying with AP scores. SATs must also be taken in person.

I would advise her to look into CLEP exams (administered by the same company as the SAT), which allow anyone to earn college credit, even for the most prestigious unis in America. These are taken at home and could theoretically replace the need for AP exams. Look into it, and also email potential universities regarding this as a replacement.
https://clep.collegeboard.org/

I do think that she would need to go for her GED if she hasn't already as that is the most important qualification to get into any university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending