The Student Room Group

Guidance needed on where to get a GCE

In November I am going to apply to La Sapienza, a university in Italy, Rome. I am currently preparing the requirements needed for the online application however I am struggling to understand where to get certain certificates from.

These are the admission requirements for the course I am choosing.

1. (Compulsory) High School Diploma (or equivalent qualification) earned after no less than 12 years of studies.
Those students who have been awarded a High School Diploma totally taught in English (minimum 12 years of schooling) are required to provide an official document issued by the School stating that the medium of instruction and assessment, throughout their studies, was English language. Without this document, the application will not be considered valid.

2. (Compulsory) Admission Test: students can either take the SAT (College Board) or sit for the
ENGLISH TOLC-E (CISIA).

3. (Compulsory) English Language Certificate (at least B2 level-intermediate). We will be accepting only the following certificates: IELTS, TOEFL iBT, TOEIC, Cambridge Assessment English, MET, Pearson English International Certificate, Oxford Test of English.

I searched up where to get a high school diploma and the uk does not offer one, they offer a GCE which is a General Certificate of Education but I don’t understand how it works. I have completed secondary school and I have also completed a levels but I am not sure where to collect these other certificates. Do I contact my college, the government I have no idea.

If anyone has any information on 1. 2. And 3. I would be delighted to hear from you.

Thanks. ☺️
Original post by girlyteengirl
In November I am going to apply to La Sapienza, a university in Italy, Rome. I am currently preparing the requirements needed for the online application however I am struggling to understand where to get certain certificates from.

These are the admission requirements for the course I am choosing.

1. (Compulsory) High School Diploma (or equivalent qualification) earned after no less than 12 years of studies.
Those students who have been awarded a High School Diploma totally taught in English (minimum 12 years of schooling) are required to provide an official document issued by the School stating that the medium of instruction and assessment, throughout their studies, was English language. Without this document, the application will not be considered valid.

2. (Compulsory) Admission Test: students can either take the SAT (College Board) or sit for the
ENGLISH TOLC-E (CISIA).

3. (Compulsory) English Language Certificate (at least B2 level-intermediate). We will be accepting only the following certificates: IELTS, TOEFL iBT, TOEIC, Cambridge Assessment English, MET, Pearson English International Certificate, Oxford Test of English.

I searched up where to get a high school diploma and the uk does not offer one, they offer a GCE which is a General Certificate of Education but I don’t understand how it works. I have completed secondary school and I have also completed a levels but I am not sure where to collect these other certificates. Do I contact my college, the government I have no idea.

If anyone has any information on 1. 2. And 3. I would be delighted to hear from you.

Thanks. ☺️

Should I presume you're referring to this page? https://www.uniroma1.it/sites/default/files/field_file_allegati/programmesinenglish_movein_2023-2024_2704.pdf

1. This should be your GCSEs, but you need to speak to the admissions staff at the university to check. GCE is A Level, so I would just provide them with your A Level results.

2. This is something you need to do to show you're competent to study at uni. See the following: https://www.cisiaonline.it/area-tematica-english-tolc-economia/home-english-tolc-e/
I am not entirely sure if they are referring to the SAT that US colleges and unis administers. If so, you're referring to the following website:
https://satsuite.collegeboard.org/sat/registration/international-testing and you can find a local qualified UK test centre via: https://satsuite.collegeboard.org/sat/test-center-search (unsurprisingly, your options for test centres are limited)

3. Considering English Language GCSE is of C1, a level higher than B2, I think they shouldn't have a problem with this. If they do, you would need to take their English Language Certificate - I recommend Cambridge because they don't expire. B2 should be roughly KS3 level.

GCE in English is A Level in English (lit, lang, lit and lang, etc.). This shouldn't be necessary because according to the CEFR framework, A Level English Language is the equivalent of a C2 level of fluency i.e. well above B2. You might want to double check this with the admissions staff of the uni to be sure.

You would need to provide your transcripts; these shows your subjects and grades on official paper issued by the exam boards.

Your college and the government won't have any clue, because they don't keep your documents and they don't handle these sort of issues, unfortunately.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending