The Student Room Group

International student here - Why are British people so cold?

I come from Trinidad in the Caribbean, and I am studying in London. I've been here for 2 weeks, and walking past people on the street, nobody even returns a hello. Maybe it's like this everywhere in Europe, but it has been quite a culture shock. Don't want to sound like I'm complaining or moaning, I am very fortunate to study here, but maybe something bad has happened that I don't know about?
Reply 1
In London, you shouldn’t expect strangers to talk to you…it just isn’t our way of life.
Original post by 28spursfan
I come from Trinidad in the Caribbean, and I am studying in London. I've been here for 2 weeks, and walking past people on the street, nobody even returns a hello. Maybe it's like this everywhere in Europe, but it has been quite a culture shock. Don't want to sound like I'm complaining or moaning, I am very fortunate to study here, but maybe something bad has happened that I don't know about?

I think that's just the way it is over here, I definitely noticed when we went to France and Spain for a holiday everyone is so friendly in comparison to here. Even going to Ireland there's a difference, people actually acknowledge you. Just keep smiling, it's nice when you do meet people who are friendly, I hope you enjoy your time in London! :smile:
Reply 3
Come up North. It's nice up north. Someone even made a DVD about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z-8CZvJgY0

This is a parody / gentle humour BTW.

I don't think anything bad has happened to make every single person not say anything to you. Its just london life. Not many people are going to say anything to you unless they want smt from you. Its just smt thats normal for us
Wrt the title most people in London aren't British especially central London.
Reply 6

Nothing overly unique to Britain there, it's the same in most large cities in the world. People have a supreme lack of privacy and alone time so value what little they can eek out of life.
Consider it like this, youve just had your face shoved in some sweaty armpit for 20 minutes on the tube at 5:30am, youre tired and unamused with your job.. do you really feel in the mood to talk to strangers?
And of course, from personal experience anyway, half the people who do randomly try to talk to you turn out to be nut jobs - you don't want to take the risk on another one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending