The Student Room Group

Rolling eyes meand being rascist - how?

It said in the papers that apparently rolling eyes means you are racist. I don't get it how?
If you want a helpful answer you are going to have to give more context
Reply 2
I don't have anything more except that is what it is now considered. It was a small snippet.
Reply 3
i mean if u roll ur eyes at someone thats not racist. like 1st comment said, its a contextual thing to when it would and wouldnt be racist. like if my friends teasing me n i roll my eyes thats not racist. if ur teacher tells u off and u roll ur eyes, thats not racist. if a poc is pointing out something racist and u roll ur eyes, thats racist. like its a case-by-case thing, one action isnt racist unless done with racist intentions/ignorance
Original post by Kutie Karen
I don't have anything more except that is what it is now considered. It was a small snippet.

then don't make a post about it if you aren't willing to look into it first
Reply 5
Original post by aizzicle
i mean if u roll ur eyes at someone thats not racist. like 1st comment said, its a contextual thing to when it would and wouldnt be racist. like if my friends teasing me n i roll my eyes thats not racist. if ur teacher tells u off and u roll ur eyes, thats not racist. if a poc is pointing out something racist and u roll ur eyes, thats racist. like its a case-by-case thing, one action isnt racist unless done with racist intentions/ignorance

i have never seen it as being racist but apparently it is
Reply 6
Original post by Kutie Karen
i have never seen it as being racist but apparently it is

to be fair rolling eyes are mostly rude
Reply 8
Because rolling your eyes is an implicit way of saying 'This jumped up nobody wants to be taken seriously?' or 'Not this troublemaker again!' or 'This person remains on a weird wavelength compared to everyone else'. Any actual power difference, or power difference perceived by others, will magnify this in to the person on the receiving end of it feeling more powerless and not taken seriously.
If gender or race are brought to it, though, so must age (ageism against the young and ageism against the old), assumed social class (whether snobbery or inverse snobbery), and disability.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Alm_xo
to be fair rolling eyes are mostly rude

yes exactly what i think too. Not understanding how it is perceived to be racist.
Reply 11
Is this one of those rubbish ideas stemming from so called 'micro aggressions' ? Allow me to roll my eyes at the idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending