The Student Room Group

Does anyone worry about being forced to go vegan?

Going vegan is becoming more popular, but unforunately so are attitudes from radical activists wanting everyone to adopt a pplant based diet.
Does anyone here who eats meat, fish and animal products worry about being alienated in the future for it or having everyone force you into giving it up? It certainly seems like we are heading to that.
Reply 1
Not in the slightest.
Nah I don't see it in the foreseeable, less than 1% of the world are apparently vegan and even then you only really hear the most from the obnoxiously loud minority of them. Most people vegans included are just getting on with minding their own diet.
Reply 3
Never happen.
Original post by Evan2002
Going vegan is becoming more popular, but unforunately so are attitudes from radical activists wanting everyone to adopt a pplant based diet.
Does anyone here who eats meat, fish and animal products worry about being alienated in the future for it or having everyone force you into giving it up? It certainly seems like we are heading to that.

No. If your friends can't deal with you eating meat, they're likely not particularly good friends in the first instance. Can't imagine anyone falling out with a friend/family member over something as trivial as eating meat/fish/animal products, and if you do fall out with them, you're better without them - after all, one shouldn't dislike a person just because they're vegan, so reverse should also be true.

While it's important to be aware of the reasons behind why others may be vegan and to be tolerant of their views, this doesn't mean you should just bow to social pressure and become vegan if you don't want to. Figure out what you believe to be a decent way of living while respecting others, and if anyone complains after that, tell them to **** off - your life will likely be better without them anyway.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by BenRyan99
No. If your friends can't deal with you eating meat, they're likely not particularly good friends in the first instance. Can't imagine anyone falling out with a friend/family member over something as trivial as eating meat/fish/animal products, and if you do fall out with them, you're better without them - after all, one shouldn't dislike a person just because they're vegan, so reverse should also be true.

While it's important to be aware of the reasons behind why others may be vegan and to be tolerant of their views, this doesn't mean you should just bow to social pressure and become vegan if you don't want to. Figure out what you believe to be a decent way of living while respecting others, and if anyone complains after that, tell them to **** off - your life will likely be better without them anyway.

Agreed.

I’m not worried about being forced to go vegan at all. The only possible reason for me to worry about it is if one day I suddenly can’t afford to consume animal products or I become allergic to them or if the vegan diet somehow becomes the majority to the point where supermarkets are having to change what they sell to meet consumer demands.

But this is unlikely to happen in my opinion.
Reply 6

If you put your phone and social media down (and ideally switch off), you will find that radical vegan activists don't actually exist in your circle of peers.
Original post by hotpud
If you put your phone and social media down (and ideally switch off), you will find that radical vegan activists don't actually exist in your circle of peers.

Yeah I’ve never seen radical vegan activists in real life, some people say that they’ve dealt with them IRL but that’s not me personally.

I didn't even know being vegan was becoming popular. I see more vegan people online but irl, i only know 4-5. I don't think we're heading towards this scenario rn or anytime soon but lets say if we were, imma keep eating meat. I don't see why you would be alienated in the first place, vegans aren't alienated when they're not as common as the normal diet so why would it be vice versa. The only time i'll be vegan is when all foods from animals are illegal which won't be the case lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending