The Student Room Group

how to revise effectively

guys i literally joined a few minutes ago and i need help knowing how to revise properly.

i am actually pretty decent at school and get good grades but like i really want to add some sparkle to the fact that im literally studying.

i also love taking pretty notes but i kinda feel like its not even necessary because you take the notes once and never really look at them again... i actually love studying moderately and like depending on my mood but like someone literally help with how can revise and study properly without getting bored!!
Reply 1
Experiment 🌈

But realises, I think if you're bored then topish priority is to maintain your interest; you love taking pretty notes! then keep at it but if you fear it's unnecessary and therefore a time waster, shorten them, think of ways to present it more compact, more concise. You like to study depending on mood, maybe try to discover what triggers the mood whilst you study, it'll be an interesting hunt which will reveal itself in as you go. Now if you feel the need to be more disciplined, try it out, see how it fits and then slip back to what's most comfortable because it sounds that you'll do your best when you're in your best mood, if I'm wrong then sorry :')
I’d say at this stage in ur revision practice papers are the way to go.You should focus on what u dont know/ the weaker areas. Flash cards are great and u can probably find pre-made ones on quizlet. I’d also recommend to stop writing notes unless they are very condensed as it’s not shown to be the most effective way to revise. Good luck😊
What I find to help me is listen to some catchy songs or ones that I find quite motivating. I have a playlist for running which is full of up-beat songs or POP songs and I use that for studying as it helps me keep a efficient pace when blurting or making flashcard and surprisingly keeps me concentrated
Reply 4
I’d say everybody has different ways of learning. Understanding the way that you learn most effectively is very, very important. You should research and try various techniques and methods for yourself, although I will suggest a couple that have helped me in STEM revision.

First, I’d say there are three parts to excellent revision: Focus, Theory and Application. Focus is being able to concentrate and perform high-quality work, Theory is understanding and being confident with the knowledge and Application is your ability to apply that knowledge.

Focus

- No distractions
Your phone. Put it in another room entirely. You need to focus and stay in that focus—you cannot do that with your phone buzzing with notifications.

- Pomodoro technique
This can help with focus and distractions. In summary, you set a timer (25 min) and focus on only working, any time you have an urge to do something (like Google something etc) write it in a quick note. After your 25 min, you have 5 min to rest and do those things on your list. After a couple of these cycles, you can have a larger break (like 30 min) and do things on your list that take more time (like watching a YouTube video). A cool app to use is “Forest”.
https://todoist.com/productivity-methods/pomodoro-technique#

Theory

- Note-taking
There are many different methods and tools. In general, I’d say the process of taking notes in your words and format is how your brain will remember it, it’s like you are visualizing how your brain understands and stores that knowledge. Some argue note-taking isn’t useful, but that is for you to experiment and figure out.
https://www.student.unsw.edu.au/notetaking-tips
https://zapier.com/blog/best-note-taking-apps/

- Active recall + Spaced repetition:
These techniques are for memory and recall. Active recall is trying to recall information and recognize your inaccuracies which helps with the ability to remember. Spaced repetition is doing active recall every couple of days/weeks to uphold the memory of that knowledge. From the tools to choose, I’d suggest either Anki or Quizlet based on your needs.
https://revisingrubies.com/active-recall-and-spaced-repetition/

- Feynman techniques:
This is a very powerful way of recalling/learning information, it is best used with active recall.
https://fs.blog/feynman-technique/

Application

- Past papers/practice questions:
This is the holy grail of revision. Most of your time should be spent on this if you want the best results. I suggest googling past papers or exam-related practice questions (make sure they are part of your syllabus, like AQA or Edexcel etc). Every time you get something wrong: write it down and remember it; I’d recommend adding it as a note or flash card to review later (maybe review more than once as well).

Biggest mistake people make

The biggest mistake I’d say most people make is they focus too much on making flashcards and taking notes, eventually having little time to practice application (I do this too). If you want the best results: practice, it’s that simple. And, if there is time, focus on also making those notes/flashcards to regularly review for long-term memory.

Overall

The most important thing is to first understand what you are learning. Doing anything before that is useless and a waste of time. After that, you can experiment to find a way you learn the best. All it takes is a bit of hard work. Best of luck and I’m sure you will do great brother 🙏.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending