The Student Room Group

Do we need to know this for OCR A alevel biology (cell division)

In the cell division topic, the specification says I need to know about " the production of erythrocytes and neutrophils as examples of distinct, differentiated cells derived from a common stem cell in bone marrow". And on save my exams goes into loads of detail about erythropoiesis but I'm not sure if I actually need to know that whole process or if I just need to know that erythrocytes are formed from bone marrow stem cells? If anyone could clarify this it would be really helpful.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by NOPE12238382662
In the cell division topic, the specification says I need to know about " the production of erythrocytes and neutrophils as examples of distinct, differentiated cells derived from a common stem cell in bone marrow". And on save my exams goes into loads of detail about erythropoiesis but I'm not sure if I actually need to know that whole process or if I just need to know that erythrocytes are formed from bone marrow stem cells? If anyone could clarify this it would be really helpful.

Not erythropoiesis.
But from hematopoietic stem cell, you need to know it can differentiate to erythrocyte + neutrophil.
So you need to know the their function + adaptation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending