The Student Room Group

GCSE exam support

Hi everyone, I may need help with exam support as I have my mocks coming up. What and How should I revise?
What subjects are you studying? What grades are you aiming for? What do you struggle with? Where have you lost marks in the past?
Reply 2
French currently 4, aiming for a 7 - weakest
Photography currently 4 aiming for 6
Geography currently 4 aiming for 4
Food currently 4 aiming for 4
Maths currently 2 aiming for 5 - weakest
English Lang & Lit currently 4 aiming for 5 - Need help on Whole Text
Science combined currently 46 aiming for idk
Original post by Harfan654
French currently 4, aiming for a 7 - weakest
Photography currently 4 aiming for 6
Geography currently 4 aiming for 4
Food currently 4 aiming for 4
Maths currently 2 aiming for 5 - weakest
English Lang & Lit currently 4 aiming for 5 - Need help on Whole Text
Science combined currently 46 aiming for idk
How are you currently revising for your subjects?
Reply 4
Original post by flowersinmyhair
How are you currently revising for your subjects?
I have never used any revsion plan but currently for only english, i'm using sparknotes on youtube
I have never used any revsion plan but currently for only english, i'm using sparknotes on youtube
I would focus on the things you find the most difficult and maybe try using flashcards on those topics - you may be able to find some pre made ones on Quizlet or StudySmarter if you don't have enough time to make your own. Exam practise may also be useful - you can find questions on Physics and Maths Tutor for some subjects and past papers on your exam boards' websites.
Reply 6
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I would focus on the things you find the most difficult and maybe try using flashcards on those topics - you may be able to find some pre made ones on Quizlet or StudySmarter if you don't have enough time to make your own. Exam practise may also be useful - you can find questions on Physics and Maths Tutor for some subjects and past papers on your exam boards' websites.
ok thank you!
Hi everyone, I may need help with exam support as I have my mocks coming up. What and How should I revise?
Hiya!

Everyone revises differently and the most challenging task is finding a method that works best for you but hopefully once you do you will find sitting down to do revision would be easier.

The one method that worked best for me, for GCSE and A Levels was past papers and I applied this to all my subjects. Looking at previous papers and mark schemes it helped me when constructing an answer and knowing what to expect when walking into the exam. At the end of the day, it is practice that makes perfect and when reviewing the paper and seeing what you got wrong this can highlight what you need to re-study; because whilst it feels nice and reassuring studying what you already know, you already know this and it can be a waste of valuable time. In addition, when it came to the big mark questions I would practice writing some out and asking my teachers to mark them for me.

Here are some revision tips which I did (in addition to the past papers) for when I was studying for my GCSE's.

When I studied French at GCSE I used language apps such as Duolingo and I constantly wrote out and repeated key phrases, learnt my speaking presentation off by heart and the verbs and their different endings.

When studying for English Literature I tried to remember as many quotes as possible. Every English lesson my teacher encouraged us for 5 minutes to list as many quotes we could from the novels and poems.

A good website that I used for my subject was Seneca https://senecalearning.com/en-GB/

I also attended lunch time and after school revision sessions.

I hope this helps and you do well in your mocks, maybe you can keep us updated

-Maddie, second year Health and Wellbeing in Society at De Montfort University
Reply 8
Original post by De Montfort University
Hiya!
Everyone revises differently and the most challenging task is finding a method that works best for you but hopefully once you do you will find sitting down to do revision would be easier.
The one method that worked best for me, for GCSE and A Levels was past papers and I applied this to all my subjects. Looking at previous papers and mark schemes it helped me when constructing an answer and knowing what to expect when walking into the exam. At the end of the day, it is practice that makes perfect and when reviewing the paper and seeing what you got wrong this can highlight what you need to re-study; because whilst it feels nice and reassuring studying what you already know, you already know this and it can be a waste of valuable time. In addition, when it came to the big mark questions I would practice writing some out and asking my teachers to mark them for me.
Here are some revision tips which I did (in addition to the past papers) for when I was studying for my GCSE's.
When I studied French at GCSE I used language apps such as Duolingo and I constantly wrote out and repeated key phrases, learnt my speaking presentation off by heart and the verbs and their different endings.
When studying for English Literature I tried to remember as many quotes as possible. Every English lesson my teacher encouraged us for 5 minutes to list as many quotes we could from the novels and poems.
A good website that I used for my subject was Seneca https://senecalearning.com/en-GB/
Thank you ever so much and I will most definetly keep you updated!
Reply 9
Original post by De Montfort University
Hiya!
But also, if you have resources I could use, pls PM me it!
But also, if you have resources I could use, pls PM me it!
Hiya!

Glad I could help! In regards to resources they are all in different notebooks back at home I'm afraid as well as incomplete and mix matched over the years and it would be books worth aha - but just keep in mind what I said.

Overnight I tried to jog my memory and I thought of a few additional things to help!

For French I wrote key phrases and the verbs all out on cue cards and I would test myself by hiding answers. Also my teacher at the time was a big help letting me borrow a listening c-d as out of reading, listening, writing and speaking; listening was my weakest (I am sure you can find examples online if your teacher can't help in this way).

I also managed to find this old site, where I used to get my past papers from (you will just need to know which exam board)
https://revisionworld.com/gcse-revision/gcse-exam-past-papers

For English Language I would look at past papers and practice writing my own answers to the question incase something similar appeared in my own exam that could just be tweaked. In addition, I would make sure I knew the key features for e.g. a newspaper, letter and any other formats you may need in the writing section (it has been 4 years since year 11 - so I can't remember them all but I am sure you get the right idea)

For maths, it was mainly past papers and I would highlight the questions I really struggled on - so I knew what to revise

I would also recommend speaking to your teachers - tell them about your situation and how you are struggling to revise they may be able to suggest resources, revision methods and may run a revision session nearer the time or go over it in class.

Thank you
-Maddie, second year Health and Wellbeing in Society student at De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending