The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Durham or St Andrews?

I have offers from both universities for English Lit, and I have no idea which to choose - any advice or insight would be appreciated!

(I found a thread from a few years ago where this question turned into a train wreck of people pitting St Andrews and Durham against London unis, so please keep things respectful haha)
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have offers from both universities for English Lit, and I have no idea which to choose - any advice or insight would be appreciated!

(I found a thread from a few years ago where this question turned into a train wreck of people pitting St Andrews and Durham against London unis, so please keep things respectful haha)
Have you had a chance to visit both universities?

What was it about each of them that made you apply for them?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

I’m in the same position trying to decide between these two uni’s for English lit. I went to an open day last year and visited two departments, English and philosophy. It was very interesting and both the lecturers were so lovely. I had even stayed in contact with the English professor regarding our conversation and our discussion on essays. I’ve not visited Durham but want to go to their offer holder day. A couple of things that are enticing about Durham for me is that it is far closer to me and the course is 3 years instead of 4. However, the 4 year course at St A’s is good as the first two years don’t count towards your final grades and you get to study more than one subject. Especially when English is so multidisciplinary, it makes sense and allows for more freedom for other academic interests. Safe to say, I’m stuck aha
Original post by libbyrosemulloy
I’m in the same position trying to decide between these two uni’s for English lit. I went to an open day last year and visited two departments, English and philosophy. It was very interesting and both the lecturers were so lovely. I had even stayed in contact with the English professor regarding our conversation and our discussion on essays. I’ve not visited Durham but want to go to their offer holder day. A couple of things that are enticing about Durham for me is that it is far closer to me and the course is 3 years instead of 4. However, the 4 year course at St A’s is good as the first two years don’t count towards your final grades and you get to study more than one subject. Especially when English is so multidisciplinary, it makes sense and allows for more freedom for other academic interests. Safe to say, I’m stuck aha

Hi, have you decided? What was your offer please?

Hi, have you decided? What was your offer please?
Reply 5
Durham. Equally respected for this course and in general. Durham has a higher percentage of UK students (77% at Durham v 60% at St Andrews). Durham has far more to do in it and is also close to vibrant Newcastle. Durham colleges are numerous, great and varied in age. Durham has the oldest building of all UK universities, the 11th Century Durham Castle (University College since 1837) which is opposite Durham Cathedral. And you can get a degree of equal value in 3 years at Durham instead of 4 years at St Andrews.

I'd note neither are research powerhouses. For English, St Andrews is currently 23rd for research quality and Durham is 37th (The Complete University Guide). Overall as universities, Durham's research quality is 22nd, St Andrews is 25th. Although the percentage of staff conducting 'high quality' research at the universities in general is more impressive - St Andrews is joint 10th on 71% and Durham is joint 13th on 70%.

With a course like this, it doesn't matter where you go unless perhaps you have some very niche interest to do with ancient literature. Some of the ex-polytechnics do better for research quality and graduate prospects / graduate prospects on track.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending