The Student Room Group

Finance/Econ Uni Suggestion

I'm on A*AB for my predicted, A* In Economics, A In Mathematics and the B in History. My current choices are:

1) St Andrews: Financial Econ - AAA-ABB
2) Bath: A&F w/ Placement - AAB
3) Durham: A&F w/ Placement - AAB-ABB
4) City: A&F Foundation Yr - BBB
5) Surrey: Econ/Finance w/ Placement: CCC

But I've been considering scrapping St Andrews due to an apparent geographical disadvantage for finance careers relative to England based but idk what to replace it with. Any suggestions? Can be on the one university or my overall choices.
Original post by JR05
I'm on A*AB for my predicted, A* In Economics, A In Mathematics and the B in History. My current choices are:

1) St Andrews: Financial Econ - AAA-ABB
2) Bath: A&F w/ Placement - AAB
3) Durham: A&F w/ Placement - AAB-ABB
4) City: A&F Foundation Yr - BBB
5) Surrey: Econ/Finance w/ Placement: CCC

But I've been considering scrapping St Andrews due to an apparent geographical disadvantage for finance careers relative to England based but idk what to replace it with. Any suggestions? Can be on the one university or my overall choices.

Exeter is a similar university and city to Bath and Durham and might be a good choice to replace St Andrews. Lancaster is another worth looking into. City is very different to your other choices. Ask yourself whether you want to be in London as it doesnt look right for you.

As far as grades do you need to go down to CCC with your predictions. Universities with those grades are likely to end up in clearing. BBB seems to be your safety level.

In addition to the above East Anglia and Reading might be worth considering. Swansea will offer ABB or BBB but might accept lower on results day although it is a bigger city than most of your choices.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Exeter is a similar university and city to Bath and Durham and might be a good choice to replace St Andrews. Lancaster is another worth looking into. City is very different to your other choices. Ask yourself whether you want to be in London as it doesnt look right for you.

As far as grades do you need to go down to CCC with your predictions. Universities with those grades are likely to end up in clearing. BBB seems to be your safety level.

In addition to the above East Anglia and Reading might be worth considering. Swansea will offer ABB or BBB but might accept lower on results day although it is a bigger city than most of your choices.

Appreciate the reply, will give it some thought.
Reply 3
As a query - are you expecting some reduction in standard grades?

I think you have been given very misleading advice regarding St Andrews. The location you go to university is very different to the location you work after graduation.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000

I think you have been given very misleading advice regarding St Andrews. The location you go to university is very different to the location you work after graduation.

I got the grades on two of them mixed up. Bath is A*AB which is essentially my predicted and Durham is AAB not sure why i added a range. I recently swapped Surrey for UCL Stats, Economics and Finance which I'm not really anticipating an offer from more just a wild shot in the dark.
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000

As for St Andrews, I'm not too sure how to approach it atp. I'm ideally trying to get into Investment Banking which there are only 5 target unis for with St Andrews only a semi-target which doesn't amount to too much. My skepticism of it came from it having a geographical disadvantage in regards that it'd be more difficult to establish connections and travel to events during uni on top of it not being a target uni. Out of my choices these are more just fall back options, especially the accounting, I'd rather take a brief gap year with stronger and sit FM and apply to the actual target unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending