The Student Room Group

Which university out of these 5 would you consider to be most prestigous?

I'd be grateful to hear peoples opinions on the five university's which have made me offers.

I am aware that these may vary depending on the dynamic of the course, but talking in general terms:

Exeter, Leeds, Bristol, Surrey, UEA
They’re all about the same
Leeds because they have a football team in the premier league
Original post by lucaswww
I'd be grateful to hear peoples opinions on the five university's which have made me offers.
I am aware that these may vary depending on the dynamic of the course, but talking in general terms:
Which degree?

The first three are strongest overall.
Bristol is the only one that went to the high court to avoid being implicated in student suicides (and lost)

Hi there!

I think that's a difficult thing to state unless you've been to and studied in all of them.

I agree they are more or less similar to each other, so the things to look into would be location and the convenience of living/commuting there, and also if the modules to be studied fit in with your ultimate objectives. Your success at uni is dependant on you enjoying your time there really, wherever that may be. Going to an open day is always a good thing to do, to see if you like the idea of certain universities, and so that you may experience the journey yourself. Feel free to register your interest in visiting here.

Guildford is a lovely town located a 30-min train journey from London, and the main campus (Stag Hill) is a 10-min walk from the train station and town centre. There is a lot to do in Guildford, and of course it will depend on what you personally enjoy doing, but I'm sure you'll like having a vibrant high street at your doorstep.

The campus offers everything you need, such as study spaces, a five-level library (open 24 hours), shops, restaurants, bars, and nightclub.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc

Hi there,

Really well done for receive all the offers!

Choosing the right university is indeed a significant decision, and I completely understand the challenges involved. I faced a similar situation when deciding on my PhD program. I can share some general factors that helped me make my decision.

Department reputation: Consider the reputation of the business department and the amount of research conducted. A strong academic standing not only improves the quality of education but also sends a positive signal to future employers. Most of the UEA lecturers are fellows of the Higher Education Academy, which means that they have an extra pedagogical qualification on the top of their PhD, making the teaching exceptionally good.

Career support services: Look into the career support services offered by each university. UEA, for example, is known for its excellent CareerCentral support, providing various resources and incentives to build your CV and cover letter. For example they have an award based scheme that helps you build your CV and prepares you for interviews. Their connections with alumni can also open doors to valuable opportunities.

Location and atmosphere: The city itself plays a crucial role in your overall experience. Norwich, where UEA is located, is renowned for its beauty and vibrant atmosphere, it's the city of literature. It offers a pleasant environment for studying, with numerous charming coffee shops and easy access to the seaside.

While the decision you're about to make may seem daunting, always remember that you have the power to create the opportunities at whatever university you choose to study. Having studied at three different universities Middlesex University London, UCL, and currently UEA I've found that each institution provided unique opportunities that contributed to my personal and professional development.

I wish you all the best in making your decision. Feel free to reach out if you'd like to discuss any of this further.

Best regards,
Daniel

Depending on the degree, I'd say Bristol, just because it's usually hardest to get into. But you'll do well to go to any of the first three. I'd choose a uni more based on which campus/city/vibe you prefer :smile: but Bristol or Exeter would be my preferred options. But go to open days or just visit the cities and see what you think.

Also please don't read what the uni reps are writing, they're obviously very biased... Guildford nightlife??? You're joking. Nothing compared to Bristol.
Thanks for your comment! But remember that we also were in the same shoes many years ago and had to decide between universities. So we do share information that has helped us along our journey. I personally studies in 3 different universities for my 3 degrees and had great a great time at each.

Best,
Daniel

Quick Reply

Latest