The Student Room Group

Should I defer? Durham vs Cardiff

I came to the UK for my a levels after finishing high school in my old country. I'm in my last year and I've started applying for university, some universities have given me home fees status for what ever reason and some have given me international fee status.

I applied for computer science in Durham and luckily got an offer, which is great but their international fees are really ridiculous (32,500) and I can't afford it. On the other hand Cardiff has given me home fee status which is also great. Should I do a deferred year with Durham and just wait till next year when they'll give me the home fee status or I should just go to Cardiff??

Please give me advice.
Have you asked Durham to send you a fee assessment form? They might change their minds
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Have you asked Durham to send you a fee assessment form? They might change their minds

I did email them about my situation and everything but this was what they said
'Although we do sympathise utterly with your situation we do have to abide by government regulations. Once you and / or your mother have indefinite leave to remain or enter and you have been here three years you would probably be eligible for home fees.

england_he_who_pays__home_fees_public_version6_21.12.21.pdf (ukcisa.org.uk) pp22

Therefore you can either request deferred entry or reapply next year.

We realise this is not the response you had hoped for but it is the only solution we can offer."
Original post by iamour

I did email them about my situation and everything but this was what they said
'Although we do sympathise utterly with your situation we do have to abide by government regulations. Once you and / or your mother have indefinite leave to remain or enter and you have been here three years you would probably be eligible for home fees.

england_he_who_pays__home_fees_public_version6_21.12.21.pdf (ukcisa.org.uk) pp22

Therefore you can either request deferred entry or reapply next year.

We realise this is not the response you had hoped for but it is the only solution we can offer."

I know a mate who is in a similar situation but for psychology where he came here to do A levels but Durham have him international status but another uni gave him home fees. Personally since Durham is like 20 places ahead of Cardiff, I'd be inclined to defer a year to get durham, however, Cardiff is also a decent Russel group uni with a decent computer science department and a great city. Durham is a bit elitist but you probably already took that into account.

I say weigh up the pros and cons and then decide which uni is best for you as not everything is about prestige as within 5 places of each other on the league table, there won't be much of an education difference such as for example Southampton, however Cardiff is quite a way away so you might want to consider that.
Another thing to consider is your eligibility for government support for the tuition fee and maintenance loan. You're not automatically eligible for government support even if you're classed as a home student so if you were counting on that to afford university... check your eligibility.

If you prefer Durham, I'd see about deferred entry. But if you prefer Cardiff and can afford it this year... go for it!
Reply 5
Original post by shadowblades
I know a mate who is in a similar situation but for psychology where he came here to do A levels but Durham have him international status but another uni gave him home fees. Personally since Durham is like 20 places ahead of Cardiff, I'd be inclined to defer a year to get durham, however, Cardiff is also a decent Russel group uni with a decent computer science department and a great city. Durham is a bit elitist but you probably already took that into account.

I say weigh up the pros and cons and then decide which uni is best for you as not everything is about prestige as within 5 places of each other on the league table, there won't be much of an education difference such as for example Southampton, however Cardiff is quite a way away so you might want to consider that.

Sorry can I ask which other uni gave him home fees. I also did apply to Southampton so fingers crossed

I'm just looking at the graduate prospects to see which gives me a better chance after university
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Scotland Yard
Another thing to consider is your eligibility for government support for the tuition fee and maintenance loan. You're not automatically eligible for government support even if you're classed as a home student so if you were counting on that to afford university... check your eligibility.

If you prefer Durham, I'd see about deferred entry. But if you prefer Cardiff and can afford it this year... go for it!

Thanks, I can afford the home fees. I'm just looking at the graduate prospects
Original post by iamour
Sorry can I ask which other uni gave him home fees. I also did apply to Southampton so fingers crossed

I'm just looking at the graduate prospects to see which gives me a better chance after university

hi, it was exeter, however i also know a mate who has lived here for well over 3 years and got international fees for exeter so it really is quite hit or miss unfortunately.

in terms of grad prospects, southampton will be just as good as durham and cardiff, as long as you swap to a placement year, that should sort out your grad prospects. luckily in comp sci, there is much less focus on prestige and more on your portfolio and you as a programmer so if you go to any russel group or high ranking uni, you will not be disadvantaged. there may be better networking at durham compared to cardiff but it will be minimal. id recommend praying you get southmapton with home fees and if so go for that and then you could use cardiff as an insurance. if however you do not get Southampton, then personally i would still not defer a year as the difference in grad prospects are minimal even though prestige is quite a bit different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending