The Student Room Group

Dclinpsych

I have applied for the Dclinpsych (doctorate in clinical psychology ) three times and I have had no luck what so ever , what do I do ? Continue applying or just give up on my dream of becoming a clinical psychologist?
Or just do another career and do that ? As I don’t want to be an assistant psychologist or HCA forever, I’m starting to get fed up and keep applying and I don’t get a chance. It is very frustrating and disheartening. I really thought I would get a place this time because I have been working in this role for a long time now but never mind.
Reply 1
#doctorate
#Dclinpsy
Original post by Annoshka
I have applied for the Dclinpsych (doctorate in clinical psychology ) three times and I have had no luck what so ever , what do I do ? Continue applying or just give up on my dream of becoming a clinical psychologist?
Or just do another career and do that ? As I don’t want to be an assistant psychologist or HCA forever, I’m starting to get fed up and keep applying and I don’t get a chance. It is very frustrating and disheartening. I really thought I would get a place this time because I have been working in this role for a long time now but never mind.
Have you had your application reviewed before? What is your academic history? I would start with these questions, as you are often just screened in or out based on this.

Regarding the doctorate, i think I heard the average age of successfully getting on is around 27, and plenty of great applicants take many, many applications to get on. Dont always take it as a sign you are not suitable, the competition is fierce.

Take care,

Greg

Hello, whilst I don't personally have any experience with applying for DClinPsy, I do know that the applications are fiercely competitive and many people don't get in on their first or even fifth attempts! You absolutely should not give up on your dream unless you find something else more appealing to you. From what I've heard from others I know who have applied, the best bet is to get as much work experience as possible (including extra volunteering), as well as a decent academic background (accredited BSc, MSc, etc).
Good luck!
-Kat (2nd year undergraduate psychology student at Lancaster University)

As others have said, the DClinPsy is fiercely competitive and it is very common to take a few tries to get in (in fact, the uncommon thing is to get in first try!). Don't give up, just keep trying and ask for feedback. If you're an assistant psychologist, also a great idea to ask the psychologist you're working under for help.
Reply 5
Have you posted on DClinPsy specific forums where people within that career can give focussed advice?
Reply 6
What are you degree/s classifications? And how much work experience do you have? How do you prepare for the interviews?

Quick Reply

Latest