The Student Room Group

What to do after my psychology degree

Help! Currently finishing second year of uni with a psychology degree but have no idea what to do when I leave. I haven't got a masters and no intention of getting one soon so I feel like every door is closing :frown:
Lots of roles you can apply for in the NHS. Or become a drug rep for one of the big pharma companies
Original post by elm203
Help! Currently finishing second year of uni with a psychology degree but have no idea what to do when I leave. I haven't got a masters and no intention of getting one soon so I feel like every door is closing :frown:

What area of psychology interests you the most?
Reply 3
Original post by Autumn223
What area of psychology interests you the most?

I like educational psyc (was thinking of being a secondary school psyc teacher but what 15 year old is gonna take a 22 year old seriously) I like forensic psyc but don’t have a master and quite like social psyc too
Original post by elm203
I like educational psyc (was thinking of being a secondary school psyc teacher but what 15 year old is gonna take a 22 year old seriously) I like forensic psyc but don’t have a master and quite like social psyc too

I mean you could always take a forensic masters? Im in my third year of psychology right now, and I’ve been accepted onto a MSc for this September.
Also with psychology i found a lot of my teachers in secondary were younger, and most the students didn’t mind, there are further teaching courses you can do to qualify as a teacher too, i can’t remember the name off the top of my head but I know they have come to talk to us so it might be worth asking your tutor about routes into teaching (or your careers team) 😊
Reply 5
Original post by Autumn223
I mean you could always take a forensic masters? Im in my third year of psychology right now, and I’ve been accepted onto a MSc for this September.
Also with psychology i found a lot of my teachers in secondary were younger, and most the students didn’t mind, there are further teaching courses you can do to qualify as a teacher too, i can’t remember the name off the top of my head but I know they have come to talk to us so it might be worth asking your tutor about routes into teaching (or your careers team) 😊

Thank you! This is really helpful ❤️ tbh I love the idea of teaching but all of my friends/ family are trying to talk me out of secondary because they don’t think I’ll enjoy it / be respected but I’d love to teach psyc
Original post by elm203
Thank you! This is really helpful ❤️ tbh I love the idea of teaching but all of my friends/ family are trying to talk me out of secondary because they don’t think I’ll enjoy it / be respected but I’d love to teach psyc

Honestly as long as you are passionate about something thats the main battle, friends and family will come around if you are determined to go down that path!
Original post by elm203

Hello, I'm also in second year psychology and you are definitely not alone in this! I know a lot of people who have no idea what they want to do next, or have recently changed their minds about what they wanted to do. There are still plenty of opportunities within psychology available if you don't go on to do further Masters, PhD, etc. For example, there are graduate positions available in research (although a lot of these may expect you to at least be interested in progressing your education), there are also roles in HR, marketing, counselling, and many other areas! Don't be disheartened by not wanting to continue within academia.
Good luck with the rest of second year!
-Kat (2nd year psychology undergraduate at Lancaster University)

Quick Reply

Latest