The Student Room Group

Independent route of Counselling Psychology (QCoP)

Hi I have a question re- the Independent route of Counselling Psychology (QCoP) please. BPS is currently under review of the route and it has been going on for a while, and thus I don't seem to be able to get a response from the team until then.

I have an enquiry about meeting the academic components of the two core training components.

The handbook stated that the two core training components have to be in two different modalities. I have personally completed Level 7 postgraduate level in CBT in the UK and partial completion of Level 8 doctoral level in clinical psychology overseas. Since I did not complete my doctoral training, I would like to know if it can still count as meeting a component of the academic training.

Of course, it would be ideal if it could be taken into consideration, meaning that I have already completed and met the academic components. If not, I am considering of taking another Level 7 academic training starting September this year. I would like to get some advice/opinions here so that I can start enrolling to a new course this year without missing the deadline.

Thank you very much!
Reply 1
Original post by wisabella
Hi I have a question re- the Independent route of Counselling Psychology (QCoP) please. BPS is currently under review of the route and it has been going on for a while, and thus I don't seem to be able to get a response from the team until then.
I have an enquiry about meeting the academic components of the two core training components.
The handbook stated that the two core training components have to be in two different modalities. I have personally completed Level 7 postgraduate level in CBT in the UK and partial completion of Level 8 doctoral level in clinical psychology overseas. Since I did not complete my doctoral training, I would like to know if it can still count as meeting a component of the academic training.
Of course, it would be ideal if it could be taken into consideration, meaning that I have already completed and met the academic components. If not, I am considering of taking another Level 7 academic training starting September this year. I would like to get some advice/opinions here so that I can start enrolling to a new course this year without missing the deadline.
Thank you very much!
Hi Wisabella,

The future for the QCoP has very recently been thrown into a lot of uncertainty, and the BPS may be axing it entirely. Please see this post from the head of the Division of Counselling Psych sharing her concerns:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/bps-qualification-counselling-psychology-qcop-dr-sue-whitcombe-9nvve/

-B
Reply 2
Yeah I’ve heard they are phasing it out 🙁 but tbh the 3 year doctorate is quicker and cheaper than going the QCoP route.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest