The Student Room Group

Why do british south asians call me freshie

I wasn't born in south asia, I was born in a white european country, but not within the uk. My first language is a european language, and I don't know any asian languages. I'm mixed-race—white european and south asian- a female in my 20s.

When it comes to my appearance, I don't look fully white or fully asian, but I do look a bit more south asian, at least in my opinion, and many white people think so too; otherwise, I wouldn't be called 'p*ki' every other month when walking down the street. The only people who say I look white are some minorities. I’ve been told I look turkish, iranian or spanish. I have sort of light olive or beige skin with a bit of a pink hue on my face, dark brown hair, and dark brown eyes. I wouldn't say I'm attractive because I am a bit overweight, etc., but I dress in western clothes, and I don't do weird stuff like wearing oil on my hair. The only thing I like about asian culture is the food. I don't even watch any bollywood movies or anything.

People have mixed opinions on my accent. Some say I have no accent, whereas others have said stuff like 'you have a soft accent' (from some old english man I had to speak to in a call centre job), 'you sound a bit european' and a ‘mixed european and british accent’ from colleagues, etc.

Sometimes I tell colleagues that I was born in x european country. I've heard british asian colleagues whisper 'freshie' at me and call me 'that freshie' when they gossip about me. Most of these people do not speak to me unless it’s for professional reasons. What is the most likely reason for them seeing me as a freshie? Is it the fact that I let them know that I was born outside of the uk, or my slight accent, or my appearance? I don't exactly have the most conventional facial features. I don't have a strong accent as I came to the uk when I was about 7.

Is there anything I can do to stop being perceived as a freshie? It makes me sad that I’ve lived in England for 2 decades now and I still get called freshie. I keep thinking it's my slight accent or appearance, but I remember when I was in secondary school, the hottest girl was also called freshie because she was straight from south asia, so losing weight, getting plastic surgery, or wearing more makeup, etc., won't help me then? Should I just try my best to perfect my accent and avoid telling people where I was born?
Isn't it funny how they say white people are more judgey on skintone and race. But from experience it's actually the opposite, it's always the coloured people who are focused on what you look like and who make digs.

My advice is for you not to over explain who you are and dont change for anyone. If people ask, just say you're from the UK, period. The only people who get to know more about you are people who have earned it.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending