The Student Room Group

Hello what happens if I mix sodium with water and then drink it?

I was told it adds flavor to the taste and I would like a second opinion before trying it. Thank you for listening - OfishalAyidahFan signing out.
If you add sodium metal they will react and you may cause a fire.
If you add sodium chloride (table salt), which I'm assuming is what you actually mean to the water it may taste a bit funny, but it won't catch fire. If you have issues with electrolytes it may worth looking into, otherwise it probably isn't necessary and will likely taste worse than normal water.
Original post by OfishalAyidahFan
I was told it adds flavor to the taste and I would like a second opinion before trying it. Thank you for listening - OfishalAyidahFan signing out.
I think you meant table salt? But if you meant Sodium, as in Na the element, then it would probably fizz around the water and would probably feel strange drinking it!
Reply 3
Original post by jelllyfiiish
I think you meant table salt? But if you meant Sodium, as in Na the element, then it would probably fizz around the water and would probably feel strange drinking it!

Sodium reacts with water to produce sodium hydroxide and hydrogen gas. The hydrogen may ignite.

2Na+2H2O2NaOH+H22Na + 2H_2O \rightarrow 2NaOH + H_2

Sodium hydroxide is nasty stuff, so you would expect chemical burns in your mouth, throat, and oesophagus; and possibly life-changing injuries.
Original post by jelllyfiiish
Would probably feel strange drinking it!

'...would probably feel strange drinking it!" is only scratching the surface in terms of consequences, I'm afraid. @martin7 is absolutely correct, sodium hydroxide is nasty stuff and anyone with a hint of self-preservation would avoid consumption of it.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest