The Student Room Group

Oxford Chemistry Interview

Hi, I'm looking for help preparing for the Oxford Chemistry Interview. If you are a Oxford Chemistry student could you please give me an advice and if you're able could you please mentor me. Thank you
Original post by Rali7
Hi, I'm looking for help preparing for the Oxford Chemistry Interview. If you are a Oxford Chemistry student could you please give me an advice and if you're able could you please mentor me. Thank you

Start by looking at C3L6 and RSC Chemistry Olympiad past papers (to cover the problem solving). You may also find AS and A level past chemistry papers useful.

I would also recommend getting practice with explaining concepts in A level chemistry to classmates who are less familiar with them, since that will help you to explain your thinking out loud (arguably the most important skill for Oxford interviews full stop).
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
Start by looking at C3L6 and RSC Chemistry Olympiad past papers (to cover the problem solving). You may also find AS and A level past chemistry papers useful.

I would also recommend getting practice with explaining concepts in A level chemistry to classmates who are less familiar with them, since that will help you to explain your thinking out loud (arguably the most important skill for Oxford interviews full stop).

Thank you, also would it be worth it to pay for any interview prep courses like the uniadmissions one
Original post by Rali7
Thank you, also would it be worth it to pay for any interview prep courses like the uniadmissions one

As I didn’t use any paid interview prep courses, I cannot say for certain whether they are worth it.

Try asking your school for mock interviews. Otherwise, I can just make up an interview style question and we can see how you respond to it.
Reply 4
Original post by TypicalNerd
As I didn’t use any paid interview prep courses, I cannot say for certain whether they are worth it.

Try asking your school for mock interviews. Otherwise, I can just make up an interview style question and we can see how you respond to it.

Ok thank you, I'll ask my school for now and see what they say.
Original post by Rali7
Ok thank you, I'll ask my school for now and see what they say.

Excellent. Let’s hope you can get a mock interview sorted.

In the meantime, I think it’s worth giving you a question to think about:

Suppose I have unlabelled, solid samples of the following compounds:

-Glucose
-Anhydrous copper sulphate
-Sodium sulphate
-Barium chloride
-Calcium carbonate

Can you think of possible ways to distinguish between them all?
Reply 6
For glucose I haven’t studied the biochem topic but I know from biology gcse you could add benedicts solution to it and it might go red. Could you say that? Anhydrous copper sulfate would turn blue when you add water to it. BaCl2 would have an apple green flame test and with the final two sodium sulfate is soluble in water but CaCO3 is not.
Original post by JosephR37
For glucose I haven’t studied the biochem topic but I know from biology gcse you could add benedicts solution to it and it might go red. Could you say that? Anhydrous copper sulfate would turn blue when you add water to it. BaCl2 would have an apple green flame test and with the final two sodium sulfate is soluble in water but CaCO3 is not.

You have devised a series of perfectly acceptable tests with correct results for all of them. There is nothing you aren’t allowed to know for an interview, so using your knowledge of Benedict’s test is perfect.

The possible rabbit holes you could go down with this sort of question are:

-Why is CuSO4 (s) white, when CuSO4 (aq) is coloured?

-Why does BaCl2 give an apple green flame colour?

-What sort of reaction occurs when Benedict’s solution reacts with glucose?

-What makes an ionic compound soluble/insoluble in water?

My main feedback for your response would be to describe what is observed with the other compounds when they are tested with benedicts/flame etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending