The Student Room Group

Bleeding when having a bowel movement is this normal ? Help please

I've had a bad tummy this week started off with constipation for a few days which turned into bad tummy pain . I took a stool softner to help me go to the toilet but woke up yesterday with really bad diarrhoea like water sorry for tmi but went about 6 times in the morning. I have now noticed when I wipe there is blood on the toilet paper, could this just be from wiping alot after all the diarrhoea and my skin being sore or something more serious ? Any help would be appreciated never experienced this before so worried now .
Original post by Anonymous
I've had a bad tummy this week started off with constipation for a few days which turned into bad tummy pain . I took a stool softner to help me go to the toilet but woke up yesterday with really bad diarrhoea like water sorry for tmi but went about 6 times in the morning. I have now noticed when I wipe there is blood on the toilet paper, could this just be from wiping alot after all the diarrhoea and my skin being sore or something more serious ? Any help would be appreciated never experienced this before so worried now .

I would go and see your GP about it because it could be something serious (it may not be, but it is not worth taking the risk)
Reply 2
See if it settles when the diarrhoea settles and if not, see a GP? Honestly...
Original post by Anonymous #1

If you are concerned about it then contact NHS 24 on 111 as they will disappear this with you and will give you advice on what you should do as your GP will probably be closed until either Wednesday or Thursday next week. Don't wait until things get worse. Better safe than sorry with phoning the NHS 24 helpline for advice.
It might be nothing to worry about but asking for advice from qualified NHS 24 staff will reassure you.

Bleeding from the bottom (rectal bleeding)
A small amount of one-off bleeding from the bottom is not usually a serious problem. But a GP can check.
Check if you're bleeding from the bottom
You might be bleeding from the bottom if you have:

blood on your toilet paper

red streaks on the outside of your poo

pink water in the toilet bowl

blood in your poo or bloody diarrhoea

very dark poo (this can be blood mixed in poo)

A small amount of one-off bleeding can often go away on its own without needing treatment.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Littleemma98
If you are concerned about it then contact NHS 24 on 111 as they will disappear this with you and will give you advice on what you should do as your GP will probably be closed until either Wednesday or Thursday next week. Don't wait until things get worse. Better safe than sorry with phoning the NHS 24 helpline for advice.
It might be nothing to worry about but asking for advice from qualified NHS 24 staff will reassure you.

Bleeding from the bottom (rectal bleeding)
A small amount of one-off bleeding from the bottom is not usually a serious problem. But a GP can check.
Check if you're bleeding from the bottom
You might be bleeding from the bottom if you have:

blood on your toilet paper

red streaks on the outside of your poo

pink water in the toilet bowl

blood in your poo or bloody diarrhoea

very dark poo (this can be blood mixed in poo)

A small amount of one-off bleeding can often go away on its own without needing treatment.

Thankyou for this, hopefully is nothing serious I've got some wet wipes to use instead of toilet paper so hopefully these will help to soothe my skin . Sorry again for tmi but because the diarrhoea was really watery I also passed some mucus could this have caused some of the bleeding perhaps?
Thankyou for this, hopefully is nothing serious I've got some wet wipes to use instead of toilet paper so hopefully these will help to soothe my skin . Sorry again for tmi but because the diarrhoea was really watery I also passed some mucus could this have caused some of the bleeding perhaps?

No worries 🙂🙂

Drink plenty of water and see what happens and if it doesn't clear up then contact NHS 24 for further advice until your own GP open up later in the week.

What causes jelly like mucus in stool after diarrhea.......
Larger amounts of mucus in stool, associated with diarrhea, may be caused by certain intestinal infections. Bloody mucus in stool, or mucus accompanied by abdominal pain, can represent more serious conditions and should see your GP.
Reply 6
Original post by Littleemma98
No worries 🙂🙂

Drink plenty of water and see what happens and if it doesn't clear up then contact NHS 24 for further advice until your own GP open up later in the week.

What causes jelly like mucus in stool after diarrhea.......
Larger amounts of mucus in stool, associated with diarrhea, may be caused by certain intestinal infections. Bloody mucus in stool, or mucus accompanied by abdominal pain, can represent more serious conditions and should see your GP.

Thankyou for your advice 🙂 hardly any blood now just a little when I wipe but still having loose stools so maybe this is why .
Reply 7
This is known as rectal draining and it can happen for some reasons. More often than not rectal draining is certainly not an indication of a difficult sickness, however seeing your doctor is significant.

Yeah happens to me all the time - although I have been having penetrative sex up there so I dont know if we're in the same boat! If you are also a young gay male, remember to use lots of lube and dont rush it!!!

Quick Reply

Latest