The Student Room Group

should I attend society meeting

I am a super quiet person. I will respond to you if you talk to me but I seldom start a conversation. It is because I don't have any ideas to express or there is no chance for me to talk (everyone is speaking, and I have no gap to talk). There is an activity coming on next Friday. I am really interested in it, but I don't know if I should join it as I am really quiet and I don't know how others will think about me if I don't talk a lot, especially the activity is only for 15 people. I am scared that they think I waste the opportunity as I don't talk.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am a super quiet person. I will respond to you if you talk to me but I seldom start a conversation. It is because I don't have any ideas to express or there is no chance for me to talk (everyone is speaking, and I have no gap to talk). There is an activity coming on next Friday. I am really interested in it, but I don't know if I should join it as I am really quiet and I don't know how others will think about me if I don't talk a lot, especially the activity is only for 15 people. I am scared that they think I waste the opportunity as I don't talk.

Hey there,

I totally get where you're coming from. Being quiet can sometimes make it feel like you're stuck on the sidelines, right? But trust me, you're not alone in feeling that way.

First things first, it's awesome that you're interested in this activity coming up! That's a great sign that you're keen to get involved and try something new. As for being quiet, well, that's just part of who you are, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Now, about joining the activity... I say go for it! Sure, it might feel a bit nerve-wracking at first, especially if you're worried about not talking much. But remember, being quiet doesn't mean you won't be able to enjoy yourself or contribute in your own way.

Think about it like this: you might not be the loudest voice in the room, but you bring a unique perspective and presence that can still make a difference. Plus, there are plenty of ways to participate without saying a ton. You can listen actively, ask insightful questions, and show your interest through your actions.
And hey, if you do feel like speaking up, go ahead and do it! But don't put too much pressure on yourself to be someone you're not. Just be yourself, and people will appreciate you for who you are.

As for what others might think... Honestly, most people are probably too wrapped up in their own stuff to even notice how much you're talking. And those who do notice? Well, the ones who matter will understand and respect you for being true to yourself.

So, my advice? Take a leap of faith and give the activity a shot. You never know, it could turn out to be an amazing experience, and you might even surprise yourself with how much you enjoy it. And if it doesn't feel right for you, that's okay too. The important thing is that you give it a try.
You got this! 😊

Cheers,
Shri (MSc International Business Management).
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi,

It's completely understandable that you feel nervous about attending a society meeting. I remember when I first joined my current societies, I was terrified to attend the first meeting or two - as a fresher, it felt like everyone already knew each other, and I'm not great at striking up conversations with new people or 'breaking the ice'.

However, I quickly realised that regardless of how little or how much I talked, we were all there because we really enjoyed what the society was about and just wanted to be around other people who shared that interest. Even if you attend the meeting and don't talk much, you won't be wasting any opportunity - in fact, if it's something you're really interested in, it would be a waste not to go - and it's highly unlikely people will judge you for being quiet if you show a genuine interest in the topic/interest at hand.

It's perfectly normal to be anxious of activities like these, especially so if you have a bit more of an introveted personality. However, I know now that I don't regret attending those first few society meetings, even if I was scared at first - and I really hope the same can be said for you and this activity! :smile:

Best of luck,
Eve (Kingston Rep).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending