The Student Room Group

supercurriculars for stem

how much is enough?? i read around topics i find interesting, try to go to clubs and am a science prefect, but i never know how much is enough? What kind of stuff should i be focused on? ive heard contradicting advice from various teachers on whether quality or quantity is important. I'd really appreciate some advice :smile:
btw im interested in pursuing a physics or chem degree
Reply 1
Anything really, youtube channels to books, volunteering, technician work etc.
Reply 2
no but like, how much?? thats my real question, work experience is not all that relevant for academic degrees
Reply 3
Enough to write a good personal statement, and that varies alot by how much detail you talk about one thing etc.
Reply 4
Work experience is definitely a plus, but not necessary
Original post by Nat4695
how much is enough?? i read around topics i find interesting, try to go to clubs and am a science prefect, but i never know how much is enough? What kind of stuff should i be focused on? ive heard contradicting advice from various teachers on whether quality or quantity is important. I'd really appreciate some advice :smile:
btw im interested in pursuing a physics or chem degree

Hi,
I'm a third-year student studying natural sciences (physics and environmental science) at Lancaster. In my experience, quality is better than quantity to really showcase your interest in a subject, although the amount of detail may depend on how you structure your personal statement. It's important to make sure that you're highlighting what you've gained from each experience/course/reading or why you found them interesting rather than just listing them. Additionally, if the courses you are applying for have interviews you should be prepared to expand on points mentioned in your statement. I'd also echo other posters that work experience is not necessary but can be a plus, for example, I did a week's placement at Daresbury laboratories and talked about how that experience had furthered my enthusiasm for specific areas of physics such as particle physics.
Hope this helps,
Becky (Lancaster University student ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending