The Student Room Group

should I apply to oxbridge medicine ??

hey guys, I'm in yr12 and I got 999998877 in my GCSES but I think theyre too low considering oxbridge shortlist using those and BMAT so I'm a bit worried about that...
my predicted grades are A*A*A* and ive been doing loads of supercurriculars like EPQ, two essay competitions, and loads of book, articles and magazine reading - do I have a chance of getting at least an interview ??
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by flockybri33
I got 999998877 in my GCSES but I think theyre too low considering oxbridge shortlist using those and BMAT so I'm a bit worried about that...
my predicted grades are A*A*A* and ive been doing loads of supercurriculars like EPQ, two essay competitions, and loads of book, articles and magazine reading - do I have a chance of getting an interview ??

Oxford do not shortlist using GCSEs anymore and only consider them for those not making the initial shortlist as a second pass. Cambridge consider GCSEs in context holistically with the rest of your application. Note though that to make a competitive application to Cambridge you really need to be taking 3 STEM subjects at A-level, as those not taking 3 STEM subjects are far less likely to be successful in applying.

Bear in mind that going to Oxford or Cambridge will not directly affect your medical career in terms of progression, as specialty recruitment is blinded to your medical school to ensure there is no bias based on where you studied your medical degree, and foundation post placement is done by algorithm and doesn't factor your medical school at all. So there's no specific reason to apply there, especially if you aren't confident you will get an interview, unless there is a specific element of the course that appeals to you.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Oxford do not shortlist using GCSEs anymore and only consider them for those not making the initial shortlist as a second pass. Cambridge consider GCSEs in context holistically with the rest of your application. Note though that to make a competitive application to Cambridge you really need to be taking 3 STEM subjects at A-level, as those not taking 3 STEM subjects are far less likely to be successful in applying.

Bear in mind that going to Oxford or Cambridge will not directly affect your medical career in terms of progression, as specialty recruitment is blinded to your medical school to ensure there is no bias based on where you studied your medical degree, and foundation post placement is done by algorithm and doesn't factor your medical school at all. So there's no specific reason to apply there, especially if you aren't confident you will get an interview, unless there is a specific element of the course that appeals to you.

yh I do maths bio chem at a level - are you sure Oxford don't use GCSES to shortlist anymore ???
Your GCSEs are definitely good enough. I hate to say it but posts like this are why this website is made fun of lmao
Original post by flockybri33
yh I do maths bio chem at a level - are you sure Oxford don't use GCSES to shortlist anymore ???

Have you actually read their medicine webpage...? Because it quite clearly states that GCSEs were not used in 2021 for shortlisting and the decision was made in 2022 that they would continue to make shortlisting decisions on the basis of the BMAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending