The Student Room Group

personal statement for English Lit

Hi! Does anyone have any advice on what to put in an English Lit PS?
I am struggling to start it off
Thank you in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Pandasarecute65

For my PS, I started off by talking about what I’m interested in, and why I want to study the course. Then I talked about supercurriculars and why they made me a betters student. Then I critically analysed a few books I have read, and finished off with extra curriculars, work experience, and what I hoped to do in the future. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Pandasarecute65

Hi there!

I have recently just finished my English Literature degree, so I hope I can offer you some good advice about what I did!

Thinking back to my own personal statement, I opened it up with a book that I had recently studied for my English Literature A-Level coursework and spoke about the movement it was wrote in, and how it may link to wider society, its importance, etc. Although it may be overdone sometimes, it still can be effective as it shows that you are well read and have a genuine interest in the importance of reading and literature itself. I then went on to say where my passion stemmed from and why I wanted to study English, ensuring to highlight skills that I have learnt from studying it at A-Level.

The rest of my body was just skills, hobbies, work experience, extra curricular, etc.

I hope this helps and good luck! :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there!

I have recently just finished my English Literature degree, so I hope I can offer you some good advice about what I did!

Thinking back to my own personal statement, I opened it up with a book that I had recently studied for my English Literature A-Level coursework and spoke about the movement it was wrote in, and how it may link to wider society, its importance, etc. Although it may be overdone sometimes, it still can be effective as it shows that you are well read and have a genuine interest in the importance of reading and literature itself. I then went on to say where my passion stemmed from and why I wanted to study English, ensuring to highlight skills that I have learnt from studying it at A-Level.

The rest of my body was just skills, hobbies, work experience, extra curricular, etc.

I hope this helps and good luck! :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate

thank you! this is really useful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending