The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

UNICEF, useless?

Somebody from UNICEF asked med today if I wanted to contribute a certain amount of money each month. I replied: "I am against overpopulation," with the Unicefer looking absolutely gobsmacked. She asked me if I thought if it was all right to which I repllied that I was the embodiment of evil. (I was, of course, being slightly ironic).

Anyways, that was just a point of reference. Do you think it is pointless to support those organisations? I think that if any support to "poor" countries is to help, it has to be put together as to optimize the effect. You can use this metaphor: if you are too make a wall collapse only with water at hand, you won't make it fall by scattering drops at it randomly - all those small water drops should be collected in a big bucket and then thrown at the wall, with the greater momentum leaving a greater effect. The end of poverty is a politically global job, not directly in the hands of the individual - who can, in the most cases, only help out effectively by supporting governmental efforts.
Reply 1
from tiny acorns grow mighty Oak's
Owly-woes
Somebody from UNICEF asked med today if I wanted to contribute a certain amount of money each month. I replied: "I am against overpopulation," with the Unicefer looking absolutely gobsmacked. She asked me if I thought if it was all right to which I repllied that I was the embodiment of evil. (I was, of course, being slightly ironic).

Anyways, that was just a point of reference. Do you think it is pointless to support those organisations? I think that if any support to "poor" countries is to help, it has to be put together as to optimize the effect. You can use this metaphor: if you are too make a wall collapse only with water at hand, you won't make it fall by scattering drops at it randomly - all those small water drops should be collected in a big bucket and then thrown at the wall, with the greater momentum leaving a greater effect. The end of poverty is a politically global job, not directly in the hands of the individual - who can, in the most cases, only help out effectively by supporting governmental efforts.

Well...I don't believe that it's pointless to support those organizations.

I'm sure there should be SOME incentive when it comes to supporting these organizations. I hope to see results from what I contributed; that is for sure.

As for the organization itself, I wouldn't criticize UNICEF. After all, like World Vision or Amnesty International, they all contribute to help the needs of the poor...and I think that's sufficient enough for me to give them money.

Latest

Trending

Trending