The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Being British - is it a racial, national or ethnic identity?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Conkermon
This question is boggling my mind! I'm certain that being British is a national identity (although one in decline with the growth of English/Scottish/Welsh nationalism)... I don't think the British are a distinct race as was once believed by Empire builders who felt they were on a divine mission to civilize the world. I beleive race today is more to do with skin-colour and visual characteristics.

So that leaves ethnic identity.. In my mind the most confusing. At first you'd think being British does not constitute an ehtnicity as the British are multi-ethnic. So there are the main ethnic groups; English / Scottish / Welsh and then ethnic minorities.

But after time if the ethnic minorities come to view themselves as British but not English / Welsh / Scottish then does that make the British a distinct ethnicity? If Britain were to cease to exist and Scotland and Wales became independent, does the formerly Black-British Male become Black-English? Confusing since in the dictionary it links ethnicity with race + language + culture so can Black-English exist in the same way Black-English can?

Then there is the confusion over Anglo-Saxon / Celtic / Tuetonic.. Are they ethnicities or races or neither?

Help!! :woo: :eek3: :woo:

Look at the US... Italians, Russians, Germans, English, Irish, French, Spanish... we all mixed together and within America we classify European background generally as "white" because the ethnic background distinction has dissolved. "Whiteness" is an integration and visual thing. Then again, look at Sicilians. They have darker features and when they first immigrated to New York, everyone called them "black" and denigrated them. After the Sicilians integrated, now no one can tell the difference between a Sicilian and a German. They become "white" together.

Others gain pick up the other ethnicities as well. I don't know if it is derogatory to say in the UK or not, but we joke with are "whitelike" friends in the states that they are "twinkies" or "oreos". Something else on the outside, but white on the inside.

Also, in time, we all become one depending on what we are compared to. Londoners strangely all become one thing when compared to Parisians right?
Reply 21
Mr_Steve_Stifler
I'm British and proud. Don't let the sun go down on this beautiful nation. :wink:

What are you proud of though? I'm proud of British historical accomplishments but aside from that what does Britishness stand for? I suppose the monarchy but it was the English Monarchy originally..

Many of the supposed stalwarts of Britishness were English acheivements that pre-dated the existence of Britain. The concept Britishness was a partially successful attempt by the ruling elites to find and exploit values common to England and Scotland so as to bind them together. It was based on economic and military success and there was little substance behind it as evidenced by the fact that the decline of Empire and the prosperity that came with it has seen the majority turn their back on Britishness. WW2 resulted in a breif upsurge of British sentiment but the decline since then has been steep. The only reason the English find it comparatively easy to hold on to their British identity is that the English have historically ignorantly and arrogantly took Englishness and Britishness to be one in the same thing.

I'm not having a go at you or anything but I'm writing an essay on this and am curious to know :smile:.
nationality
Reply 23
Well, I think the first step to answering the question is to agree on a working definition for race and ethnicity. Unfortunately, that initial step is bound to be unsuccessful given the number of conflicting ideas, concepts and theories about the nature of race and ethnicity. Because of that, I think you should take a different approach: throw the terms race and ethnicity away, and describe what you think it means to be British without using either of those words. By doing that you are likely to come closer to the meaning of Britishness than if you were to attempt to categorize Britishness as being an instantiation of some fuzzy, loaded class that means wildly different things to each person.

That would be my suggestion,
K.
Reply 24
Bmoody
Look at the US... Italians, Russians, Germans, English, Irish, French, Spanish... we all mixed together and within America we classify European background generally as "white" because the ethnic background distinction has dissolved. "Whiteness" is an integration and visual thing. Then again, look at Sicilians. They have darker features and when they first immigrated to New York, everyone called them "black" and denigrated them. After the Sicilians integrated, now no one can tell the difference between a Sicilian and a German. They become "white" together.

Others gain pick up the other ethnicities as well. I don't know if it is derogatory to say in the UK or not, but we joke with are "whitelike" friends in the states that they are "twinkies" or "oreos". Something else on the outside, but white on the inside.

Also, in time, we all become one depending on what we are compared to. Londoners strangely all become one thing when compared to Parisians right?

I've been looking at the US but the classifications you guys use confuse me. Supposedly ethnicity and race are interchangeable in the US? (and based on some of the stuff i've found on the net that seems the case). Also the US is the archetypal 'melting pot' so it's easy for ethnic identities to merge there under umbrella terms such as European or British.. Although it seems in the US census many identified their ancestry (is that ethnicity?) as English/German.

I guess it is a good parallell though.. American is an umbrella term in the same way British is. Although I'd imagine the ethnic differences in the UK are far more pronounced with the three constituent countries long histories.
Reply 25
Kolya
Well, I think the first step to answering the question is to agree on a working definition for race and ethnicity. Unfortunately, that initial step is bound to be unsuccessful given the number of conflicting ideas, concepts and theories about the nature of race and ethnicity. Because of that, I think you should take a different approach: throw the terms race and ethnicity away, and describe what you think it means to be British without using either of those words. By doing that you are likely to come closer to the meaning of Britishness than if you were to attempt to categorize Britishness as being an instantiation of some fuzzy, loaded class that means wildly different things to each person.

That would be my suggestion,
K.

It's for a university level history essay. I wonder if it would be ok to just ignore the irrelevant/overlapping classifications and say what I think being British is?
its like a cancer.

some define themselves by it and embrace it, let themselves be ridden with it.

for others it just malignant and unimportant, there is more to life.
Reply 27
Conkermon
It's for a university level history essay. I wonder if it would be ok to just ignore the irrelevant/overlapping classifications and say what I think being British is?
It's your choice. All I'm saying is that race and ethnicity are complex, loaded terms, and the complexity of those words needs to be addressed in one way or another.
Reply 28
Pavlik
No, because you would have no way of distinguishing a Briton with reference to descent.

Of course, that is just what you'd like though, so then you can claim that the only possible idea of a Briton is as the citizen of a 'concept nation' rather than invoking any idea of ancestry.
The purpose of the question is to give an exploration of how we intuitively use the word "British" and to whom it refers. Different people use the word "Britishness" to refer to different concepts, and I don't think there is a concrete right and wrong - beyond coherence and consensus, there is no reason for assigning the word to refer to something A rather than something B. What "Britishness" is is really nothing more than what a certain group of people (chosen by the OP) refer to when they use the word. Perhaps the notion of being "British" does, for some people, intuitively have some relationship with descent; perhaps it doesn't. The ability to have that discussion isn't hindered by referring to the concept of descent directly, rather than through the proxy of loaded terms such as "race" or "ethnicity".
Reply 29
Since Labour came to power I have renounced my nationality.
Reply 30
Conkermon
I've been looking at the US but the classifications you guys use confuse me. Supposedly ethnicity and race are interchangeable in the US? (and based on some of the stuff i've found on the net that seems the case). Also the US is the archetypal 'melting pot' so it's easy for ethnic identities to merge there under umbrella terms such as European or British.. Although it seems in the US census many identified their ancestry (is that ethnicity?) as English/German.

I guess it is a good parallell though.. American is an umbrella term in the same way British is. Although I'd imagine the ethnic differences in the UK are far more pronounced with the three constituent countries long histories.

Totally agree. If you really want to solve your dilemma outright, here is a book I read for my thesis on a similar topic.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Working-Toward-Whiteness-Americas-Immigrants/dp/0465070744/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234430905&sr=8-1

"Working Toward Whiteness" -David Roediger

I would say the author does sometimes forget that many immigrants came ethnocentric or/and racist and he also cites a bit too narrowly... but other than that, a great and informative read. It will answer your question.
Reply 31
For me British just means where I was born, it is a geographical denominator. As far as I'm concerned my nationality is English and ethnically I'm a North European.
I'd consider it to be a national identity. Scientifically or genetically speaking there's only one race: the human race. I'm not sure about ethnicity though. What's the difference between ethnicity and race?
Reply 33
I'd say being British is a national identity and also a legal status.

I certainly don't think you can be ethnically or racially British, unless you're referring to the ancient Britons.
Reply 34
Conkermon
What are you proud of though? I'm proud of British historical accomplishments but aside from that what does Britishness stand for? I suppose the monarchy but it was the English Monarchy originally..

Er... the Scottish monarchy, I think you'll find... James VI and all that.

I'd say Britishness represents a willingness to enter into difficult projects and put aside petty nationalisms: the modern British state was created by an alliance which was massively beneficial to two formerly distinct kingdoms and brought them power across the globe. It necessitated the putting-aside of any hostilities (and anti-English sentiment had been quite high in Scotland at the time due to the Darien scheme and the Aliens Act) and co-operating for mutual benefit.

Many of the supposed stalwarts of Britishness were English achievements that pre-dated the existence of Britain.

Like what?

The concept Britishness was a partially successful attempt by the ruling elites to find and exploit values common to England and Scotland so as to bind them together.

I don't think that's true at all. There was never any suggestion that the ruling classes were forcing Britishness down the necks of people: immediately after the 1707 union is was expected that's what would naturally happen, and England and Scotland as entities would be about as meaningful as Mercia is now. That didn't happen, and it's largely testament to a reasonable indifference on the part of the British Establishment.

It was based on economic and military success and there was little substance behind it as evidenced by the fact that the decline of Empire and the prosperity that came with it has seen the majority turn their back on Britishness.

How exactly have the majority turned their back on Britishness? The vast majority of British people still identify themselves as British.
Reply 35
Pavlik
What do you mean by 'loaded term'? If someone says that Britishness is racial descent, i.e. as a somewhat genetically distinctive ethnic group within the wider Northern European, European and Caucasian races, then there is no ambiguity at all as to what they mean, as far as I am concerned.

Therefore I can only conclude that you wish to dispense with the word race because you simply don't like the idea of it.

How else could this be expressed - perhaps by saying 'Britishness is ancestral descent from populations indigenous to Britain, and also signifies relatedness to other Northern European, European and Caucasian descent groups'.

But, this to me is just a less articulate way of expressing the same thing using the word race; I would feel hindered by having to be so mealy-mouthed.
Many scientists and anthropologists reject the term as unuseful, meaningless, or obsolete. Perhaps you disagree with them, but I don't think it is useful for the OP to delve into the heavy literature surrounding the concept of race in order to write an essay on Britishness. Nonjudgementally placing the term aside seems like the easiest course of action.
British is a national and cultural identity, unlike the countries within the Union itself. I'm not English but I am British.
Reply 37
'Britishness is ancestral descent from populations indigenous to Britain, and also signifies relatedness to other Northern European, European and Caucasian descent groups'.
Your first phrasing without the word "race" doesn't make much sense. Or, rather, it does make sense, but is extremely inclusive. For example, if someone who has ancestral descent in rural Japan marries someone who has ancestral descent from the Britons then their children have ancestral descent from Britons. This leads to a situation where two people who might have nothing socially, politically, or culturally to do with Britain (and might live, say, in Siberia) are British. Unless you intend to be extremely inclusive and want to include hundreds of millions of people within your "British" category, which I suppose is possible, then there's a problem.
Reply 38
Being born in Britian or gaining British citizenship. =) And, personally, a person has to adopt British culture too, for me to not view them as a foreigner.
Reply 39
[QUOTE="Pavlik"]
Pavlik
I think you just proved my point, why the use of the word race makes things clearer and more articulate.

I meant near-completely of British ancestry, of course - with recent non-British admixture graded by genetic distance (e.g. German ancestry weighs less than negro ancestry). The word race incorporates this point.
And of course 'British ancestry' incorporates historic Anglo-Saxon contributions etc. to the general British gene pool.
Why did you refer to indigenous ancestral descent, then? Anglo-Saxons aren't indigenous to Britain. I doubt anybody has "near-complete" ancestry from indigenous settlers. Of course, when you change your definition to include invaders, one has to ask why you draw the line at Anglo-Saxons. Why not include other invaders across the centuries? Furthermore, the concept of "near-complete" is exceptionally woolly. How much ancestry from non-indigenous (and, if you want, Anglo-Saxon) people is too much? There is far from firm lines dividing populations, as populations intermingle and evolve (and are doing so at an ever increasing rate). It seems bizarre to take one particular population which is very broadly and roughly of some seemingly arbitrary descent (why include Anglo-Saxons?), but which inevitably includes mixing, and define "near-complete" ancestry of that arbitrary decent as "Britishness"?

The word "race" doesn't make things clearer, as you have singularly failed to express what "race" means in other terms. The concept and nature of race is a highly debated topic - and, indeed, I can't say that I know what you mean when you use it - so to pretend that it makes anything clearer is a falsehood. You suggested a way of phrasing it in other terms, but then contradicted your own suggestion. Despite your numerous posts claiming that using "race" makes things clearer, it is obvious that, by using the word in confusing ways yourself, you've only made the discussion more complicated and muddier.

I think one element that the OP can definitely say about what is means to be "British" is that what it means to consider someone else as British is messy and not always consistent!

Latest

Trending

Trending