The Student Room Group

Biology Case Study Help

I have to complete my OCR 21st century science biology case study by the end of this helf term.

Well, the available topics are:
Is cloning the way for the future?
How safe are MMR vaccines?
Antibiotics- Is there a crisis?

As I am in the stage of choosing the topic, I am trying to find 3 positives points and 3 negatives points for each topic. I will then attempt to find 6 sources talking about each of these points respectively. Any ideas?

(The good/bad point for each must be scientific, none of the ethical stuff please):smile:
Reply 1
I'd say the MMR one isn't good seeing as how the evidence against it has been proved to be a load of made up bull. Unless you want to use that and write about fabricating evidence.
Reply 2
Can someone please help? I am very short of time to complete this!
Reply 3
I'd go for cloning because I know most about it but it depends what you find most interesting. It's not that difficult to come up with a few points on each thing but here's a few for cloning:
Good- can be used to produce stem cells
- can be used to make new organs for transplant
- can be used for disease treatment using therapeutic proteins added to cloned animal genomes (look up Dolly)
- production of genetically modified organisms (crops and things like that)
Bad- not a very efficient process
- very expensive
- new procedues available (eg induced pluripotent stem cells from somatic cells)

I don't know if that's at all helpful or the kind of thing youre looking for but it helped with distracting me from what I'm supposed to be doing for a moment.
Reply 4
HannahUVM
I'd go for cloning because I know most about it but it depends what you find most interesting. It's not that difficult to come up with a few points on each thing but here's a few for cloning:
Good- can be used to produce stem cells
- can be used to make new organs for transplant
- can be used for disease treatment using therapeutic proteins added to cloned animal genomes (look up Dolly)
- production of genetically modified organisms (crops and things like that)
Bad- not a very efficient process
- very expensive
- new procedues available (eg induced pluripotent stem cells from somatic cells)

I don't know if that's at all helpful or the kind of thing youre looking for but it helped with distracting me from what I'm supposed to be doing for a moment.

Thanks SO much, I think I will probrably do the cloning topic. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending