The Student Room Group

Do I have to use the case studies I was taught for geography?

I missed most of the year as I moved school so I didn’t learn the case studies my current school has taught. When I used a different case study in my mock I didn’t receive any marks for it. If I use a different case study in the exam, would it matter? I’m thinking to just study the ones AQA recommend as there are more resources and I have virtually nothing.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katief20
I missed most of the year as I moved school so I didn’t learn the case studies my current school has taught. When I used a different case study in my mock I didn’t receive any marks for it. If I use a different case study in the exam, would it matter? I’m thinking to just study the ones AQA recommend as there are more resources and I have virtually nothing.

Have a look at the specification and see if it mentions any specific ones. If it just says you need, for example, two case studies about a topic then you can use any case study that's relevant.
Remember if you do hazards, the recent events have to be 'recent'. Other than that, make sure they link correctly. It sounds like your teachers were just petty marking. In some topics, our teachers have encouraged us to research different case studies so as a result we all have different regeneration schemes for the UK and that's fine.
Original post by CuriousCat567
Remember if you do hazards, the recent events have to be 'recent'. Other than that, make sure they link correctly. It sounds like your teachers were just petty marking. In some topics, our teachers have encouraged us to research different case studies so as a result we all have different regeneration schemes for the UK and that's fine.

Are you prepared for geography?
Original post by Zoeyyyyyyyy
Are you prepared for geography?

of course not, trying to make notes now (first proper set, had random bits beforehand), gotta love my preparation skills. are you prepared?
Reply 5
Yes it is really important you learn all the case studies you were taught for: coasts, cold environments, small-scale ecosystems, hazards, weather hazards as there will be 9 markers which require specific information from them.
i did gcse geography 2 years ago so it might be different but we had to use a lot of the case studies we learnt. the questions were quite general so it depends on what your taught by your teacher, but you need to know them! your teacher should have gone through them and said which questions they link to so try talk/email them and ask, good luck!
of course not, trying to make notes now (first proper set, had random bits beforehand), gotta love my preparation skills. are you prepared?

Sort of ...but I've frickin got to revise for r.e. first cuz I've got that tomorrow. We've got this..hopefully we'll do well! I just can't wait for tuesday to be over and done with..then I have only 2 exams left this week!
Good luck and smash it:smile:
Just to clarify, as long as you are learning case studies for the points in the specification, e.g. wildfires. I learned California in class but another student might learn about Canada. It doesn't matter who learns what. Just make sure you have the case studies that are needed and have them in enough detail. If you find it easier to remember about a particular river compared to another one, there's nothing stopping you. There's no saying you have to learn the Amazon rainforest case study. Whilst you have to learn a rainforest case study, you could just as easy do a case study on Indonesia.
I'm the same as above - I did Geography 2 years ago and I didn't revise for it but crammed the case study booklet we got given/some technical knowledge for physical geography and it worked. Idk if the value attributed to case studies in the mark scheme has changed since then but it worked for me.
Original post by zeddiful42
I'm the same as above - I did Geography 2 years ago and I didn't revise for it but crammed the case study booklet we got given/some technical knowledge for physical geography and it worked. Idk if the value attributed to case studies in the mark scheme has changed since then but it worked for me.

If you don't mind me asking what grade did you get?
Sort of ...but I've frickin got to revise for r.e. first cuz I've got that tomorrow. We've got this..hopefully we'll do well! I just can't wait for tuesday to be over and done with..then I have only 2 exams left this week!
Good luck and smash it:smile:

Thanks, you too, good luck for tomorrow :smile: Hoping for the grade boundaries to be super low, need an A for uni :wink: I've only got geography this week (I do chem/bio as my other a levels).
Thanks, you too, good luck for tomorrow :smile: Hoping for the grade boundaries to be super low, need an A for uni :wink: I've only got geography this week (I do chem/bio as my other a levels).

Ohh sorry I'm doing gcse's. Didn't realize this was for A-level
If you don't mind me asking what grade did you get?

I got an A but I legitimately only crammed 4 hours before the exam from the morning to the afternoon on the day.
I was talking about GCSE, so my advice (so long as it isn't outdated) should still apply.
I got an A but I legitimately only crammed 4 hours before the exam from the morning to the afternoon on the day.

Thanks...I going to get my mum to collect me from school early tomorrow after rs exam so I can revise a bit more!
Nope you’re fine, I’m planning on learning the ones in the revision guide as my teacher seems to have picked obscure ones with no information anywhere :lol: I made up my own in a mock as I didn’t know which one linked to that question but still got 6/6 for it so it really doesn’t matter as long as you can put in statistics for whatever it is :smile:

I mean 2 years ago I also crammed, but my awful memory failed me and hardly remembered any case studies. I don't recall many questions for case studies being asked, I scraped an A as well :smile: (for GCSEs)
Ayyy, a fellow crammer :biggrin:
I mean 2 years ago I also crammed, but my awful memory failed me and hardly remembered any case studies. I don't recall many questions for case studies being asked, I scraped an A as well :smile: (for GCSEs)
Original post by imogen28
Nope you’re fine, I’m planning on learning the ones in the revision guide as my teacher seems to have picked obscure ones with no information anywhere :lol: I made up my own in a mock as I didn’t know which one linked to that question but still got 6/6 for it so it really doesn’t matter as long as you can put in statistics for whatever it is :smile:

I'm hoping for an 8(A*) as that's what I'm predicted! May god help me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending