The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think a lot of you will like this thread :biggrin:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=14470228#post14470228
Feel free to join, and spread the wonders of dance music.

:biggrin:
Reply 41
bete noire
I genuinely think all minimal sounds the same, my two best mates are in to "proper" minimal and play it all the time I'm round.

Minimal pretty much defines the zeitgeist of the nightclub counter-culture at present, so unless you go out of your way to hear something 'different', you'd be forgiven that impression; however, it's actually quite diverse:

Reply 42
MetalheadA7X
no no no no no.

Depending on what it is the tempo varies greatly.
House is about 120bpm
Mainstream is about 140bpm
Hardcore is about 160bpm
Gabba is sometimes pushing 200bpm.

Just depends on the branch of dance music really

You forgot speedcore and extratone :wink:
Reply 43
Jono404
Mate, that is easily one of the best dance artist albums of all time, check it outttt :smile:

Song Of Life is my fave track, awesome stuff. Their second (and only other) album is good but totally different, and they also did some non album stuff like a final hit off the trainspotting soundtrack

Awesome! Am listening to it now! The album version of Release The Pressure is totally different to the version i had before! Still excellent but i prefer the shorter version, but hey this is first listen so all that may change! Out of interest under what genre does this get classed as? And if you want recommend me some more that's similar or just some great albums anyway in the Dance genre even though i know there are so many sub genres!

What do people think of Basement Jaxx, Daft Punk? These 2 were the first i really listened to which were electro and i love them!
Its all about training your ear. If you're unfamiliar with a type of music, the whole genre generally sounds the same. I remember i used to think acoustic music all sounded the same, but once i got into it you start noticing the massive variety. Its the same for all music.

Those who say it does sound aren't lying, but thats only to themselves because they're unfamiliar with the music. They wouldnt be saying that if they listened to it a bit more.
Reply 46
A good amount of music in my library is "dance" music but I am by no means a clubber or anything. Is anyone else the same way?
Reply 47
Jono404
Mate, that is easily one of the best dance artist albums of all time, check it outttt :smile:

Song Of Life is my fave track, awesome stuff. Their second (and only other) album is good but totally different, and they also did some non album stuff like a final hit off the trainspotting soundtrack

'Leftism' is seminal, though I'd say that I prefer 'Rhythm & Stealth' for 'El Cid' and 'Swords'.
belfast_DJ
This phrase annoys me greatly. I'm actually sitting here getting annoyed thinking about when people say it. :mad:

Like for example I would say "Oh yeah, i'm into dance/electronic music, what are you into?" and they would reply "Aw no all dance music sounds the same, all it is is a beat" and i say every time "so you're basically saying then all rock music sounds the same, cause it's got guitars in it" and people would freak out! :s-smilie:

Dance/electronic music is one of the most varied types of music around, there is an endless scope for creativity in it and I hate when people say aww it's all just the same stuff over and over again. But if you listened, you would know it was not. Exactly the same as me saying that all rock music sounds the same just because it involves guitar sounds (just like the main kick drum/backbeat in a dance track that is in most dance music)

Anyone else share this view? I notice this board is heavily rock biased....so i'm preparing myself for a barrage of "It all sounds the same" or "it's so repetitive"

rant over.
:rolleyes:

Omg lmao I was about to start having a rant at you, thinking you were saying all dance music sounds the same :P. Agree with you totally I like trance, hardstyles, electro etc all different kinds and they all sound different dependant upon artist, style etc.

I could say the same to people who like rock music oh no I don't like rock music cause they all sound the same but it would be a lie all different genres of music are meant to sound quite similar hence thier genre but there are different styles within the genre so yeah. It annoys the hell out of me too :smile:
Reply 49
Spongebob*No*Pants

Agreed.
Reply 51
Any other fans of 'nu-disco', incidentally? It hearkens to italo, I suppose, but incorporating modern synths:

Reply 52
Degausser
Its all about training your ear. If you're unfamiliar with a type of music, the whole genre generally sounds the same. I remember i used to think acoustic music all sounded the same, but once i got into it you start noticing the massive variety. Its the same for all music.

Those who say it does sound aren't lying, but thats only to themselves because they're unfamiliar with the music. They wouldnt be saying that if they listened to it a bit more.

Was going to say something along the lines of this. E.g. to my all classical music sounds the same (******* awful lol).

Dreizhen
A good amount of music in my library is "dance" music but I am by no means a clubber or anything. Is anyone else the same way?

Yeah, I never used to go clubbing and my library has always been at least 50% of my music is various dance stuff and if I got rid of the stuff I didn't listen to it'd probably be more like 100% :tongue:

I do go clubbing now but the music is all commercial stuff, not proper dance music like I like to listen to.
Reply 53
Leftism - Leftfield

Just listened to it. Wow, took me a couple of songs to get used to it really, but what an album! No fillers, enjoyed every moment of it really! Looking at the reviews on Amazon it shows how good the album is from the strength of the reviews. I urge anyone who has not listened to it to listen to it, even if you aren't a dance fan or listen to anything remotely like it!
miki_da_magpie
You hate tectonik yet like French electro? The two go hand in hand on the continent. I love tectonik.

I'm not too familiar with these genres and Daft Punk (the Discovery album) are the closest I've been to 'dance music'. I've got to say it's the first time I've seen Daft Punk tagged as 'electro'. :s-smilie:

As for tecktonick:

a) I despise the way people dance to it. I don't much about 'dancing' but I would definitely never dance if that's 'dancing' is. :> keep classical dancing out of this, unless it has been a major and noticeable influence to today's type of dancing. bare with me, I've been to a nightclub only once. :woo:

b) Stupidity seems to be linked with the dance/genre in this part of the world. (No, this is not aimed at you) Remember your little 'rant'? Well, apply it here as well.

/over
Reply 55
no i dont think it does, it does to me but someone who is really into dance music would think differently, infact they may say that all rock music sounds the same. If you genuinly like dance music, you would pay attention to it more and you will listen to more than just a few artisits. So peeps who like dance music are more familiar with it, so they wont thinks its all the same. :biggrin:
Reply 56
Sincerity?
I'm not too familiar with these genres and Daft Punk (the Discovery album) are the closest I've been to 'dance music'. I've got to say it's the first time I've seen Daft Punk tagged as 'electro'. :s-smilie:

As for tecktonick:

a) I despise the way people dance to it. I don't much about 'dancing' but I would definitely never dance if that's 'dancing' is. :> keep classical dancing out of this, unless it has been a major and noticeable influence to today's type of dancing. bare with me, I've been to a nightclub only once. :woo:

b) Stupidity seems to be linked with the dance/genre in this part of the world. (No, this is not aimed at you) Remember your little 'rant'? Well, apply it here as well.

/over

Listen to Leftfield - Leftism. I was very impressed with it! I'm not sure what you're trying to imply, are you saying Dance music is bad in general? I echo what another person said in this thread where if you train your ear by listening to a few albums in a certain genre you will go on to enjoy it (if its good, obviously if it is rubbish you won't) and i am very much a believer of it seeing the amount of music i've listened to. There's a whole new world of listening in the Electro tag (as it holds so much different sub genres!).
Sincerity?

As for tecktonick:

/over

Vitalic is French electro... :rolleyes: Where do you live, as in, where does that genre link with stupidity?
You're idea of dancing is naive then.
wiki
Dance is an art form that generally refers to movement of the body, usually rhythmic and to music
. Tectonik is dance, who are you to say it isnt, is urs the only opinion on dance that counts? You've been to a club only once, so ur opinions on "dance music" and the whole scene isnt exactly vast.
miki_da_magpie
Vitalic is French electro... :rolleyes: Where do you live, as in, where does that genre link with stupidity?

I have the debut album of Vitalic, however I have not listened to it yet. I've only listened to Daft Punk's Discovery. (yes, I know they're French too)

It was a generalisation on my part. I mentioned your 'rant' in that post because these people don't seem to have much of an opinion on the genre, which is why I said I felt it was linked to (their) stupidity. These people like tecktonik now, the next thing they know, they're tearing their jeans and headbanging to Avril Lavigne. :> (exaggeration yes, but I can't help myself!)

You're idea of dancing is naive then. . Tectonik is dance, who are you to say it isnt, is urs the only opinion on dance that counts? You've been to a club only once, so ur opinions on "dance music" and the whole scene isnt exactly vast.

My idea of dancing is naive, yes. I believe that was something which was clear enough in my post. :laugh:

I'm open to listening to some good "dance" music. I have lots of other stuff to listen to now but in the future, I will definitely start listening to more genres. I want to broaden my horizons, so to speak. :>
Sincerity?
I have the debut album of Vitalic, however I have not listened to it yet. I've only listened to Daft Punk's Discovery. (yes, I know they're French too)

It was a generalisation on my part. I mentioned your 'rant' in that post because these people don't seem to have much of an opinion on the genre, which is why I said I felt it was linked to (their) stupidity. These people like tecktonik now, the next thing they know, they're tearing their jeans and headbanging to Avril Lavigne. :> (exaggeration yes, but I can't help myself!)

My idea of dancing is naive, yes. I believe that was something which was clear enough in my post. :laugh:

I'm open to listening to some good "dance" music. I have lots of other stuff to listen to now but in the future, I will definitely start listening to more genres. I want to broaden my horizons, so to speak. :>

Listen to it, its pretty good. For more advice on the electro front, have a look at the electro society. Lots of stuff in there. All genres of music have phases where they become popular and the get a more mainstream "posse". Thats the way it goes I guess.

Latest