The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why does knife crime happen?

What has brought the knife crime culture to Britain? What is it that is causing young people to form gangs and kill?
Reply 1
Irresponsible parents.
Reply 2
What has happened is this:

Slight increase in knife crime = gets in newspapers who sensationalize story = people think 'Eek! The youths are killing each other! It's a disgrace!' = MORAL PANIC!
Reply 3
ArtGoblin
What has happened is this:

Slight increase in knife crime = gets in newspapers who sensationalize story = people think 'Eek! The youths are killing each other! It's a disgrace!' = MORAL PANIC!

Chavs and scum thinking 'Oi mate, carrying a knife is so cool. I'm the coolest ***** in the Bronx innit?!' = More people carrying knives = More knife crime

And still the police turn a blind eye at almost everything that really matters to people.
Reply 4
Blame the hoodies.
Reply 5
TeDaX
Chavs and scum thinking 'Oi mate, carrying a knife is so cool. I'm the coolest ***** in the Bronx innit?!' = More people carrying knives = More knife crime

And still the police turn a blind eye at almost everything that really matters to people.

Well, you know I'm right.
Reply 6
Perhaps the answer - the reason - is manifold. Have we (humans) always had gangs of teens? For sure, as humans we are social animals like wild cats and wilderbeasts. The gang (or herd) instinct is one of the prime instincts in man; it coems from our long past when we lived in close-nit communities which were safe and strong. Gangs offer safety and they usually come with their own name - I can remember the beetroot gang and the Parr Possie where I live. These gangs offer status, safety and they strengthen the herd instinct from our ancient past. When a gang met another gang it would be usuall for each gang to assert its strength and try to render their opponent submissive.

Perhaps the use of knives in gangs (and it could be a gun, or baseball bat or a sword) are the effects of this instinct; not the cause but the effects of it. The cause of knife crime is the effect of another cause: the herd instinct, which may be the effect of the Will. The Will being the cause of all, supposedly.
Reply 7
Knives = swift muggings. Don't try and romanticise knife carrying.
It's a symptom of our Broken Society. Obviously.
:rolleyes:
I think a mixture of bad parenting (only slightly though) and the media. All of these kids are playing violent video games and then they see all this crap in the media about american gangs and things which doesn't help the matter. I just don't understand how carrying a knife or a gun can make anyone feel safe to be honest.
x
The gang culture which exists in our major cities, especially London, has really taken off in the past couple of years. Tbh, kids are bored, not interested in studying. Coming from bad areas/broken families can increase this mentality, a lot of them feel the county has nothing to offer them. 'Respect' is often key in most knife attacks, it's almost always over something silly, such as looking at someone the wrong way etc.
Reply 11
This topic really interests me. it seems to me that there can be no true figure of knife crime. i am writing an essay on this for my media research and am really interested in what other people think about it. i feel that the public does have an appetite for action, however the media doesnt help by emphasising the 'massive' problem of knife crime in our society right?
i think the media has effectively created a moral panic, so therefore the increased social control will obviously result in increased knife seizures etc.
im not sure if there are other issues in society that need the governments attention?!
Reply 12
ims_91
This topic really interests me. it seems to me that there can be no true figure of knife crime. i am writing an essay on this for my media research and am really interested in what other people think about it. i feel that the public does have an appetite for action, however the media doesnt help by emphasising the 'massive' problem of knife crime in our society right?
i think the media has effectively created a moral panic, so therefore the increased social control will obviously result in increased knife seizures etc.
im not sure if there are other issues in society that need the governments attention?!

What do you mean that there's no true figure for knife crime? I agree that there is a lot of conflicting nonsense based on extrapolating surveys and herasay evidence but in the midst of this it's not difficult to tease out some real facts if you put your mind to it. For example in the year 2007-8 there were some 277 deaths from stabbings in England & Wales alone (the highest recorded figure for 30 years).
Reply 13
Because guns are less easy to get a hold of.

Latest

Trending

Trending