The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

WOMEN police officers

I was having a discussion with a female friend of mine who works in the police force and she mentioned how working in such an environment meant she had to get rid of her female characteristics......she had to 'stop smiling'....be serious all the time.....make dirty male jokes.....and basically try to be all masculine and tough.

I don't understand why? I mean...surely if they expected such character traits for an officer...they wouldn't have employed a female.

What do you think?
Reply 1
If she is gun abang some one uo, she cant be nice to the criminal, "hey sir, can you please come with me your under arrest for smoking pot?" in a sweet voice. You have to be tough! be a man.
Reply 2
but feeling the need to act differently with your collegues/equals? thats ridiculous. cause making dirty jokes is soooo much more professional than smiling!? what?
Reply 3
isn't that what her baton is for?
Reply 4
fxytimi
If she is gun abang some one uo, she cant be nice to the criminal, "hey sir, can you please come with me your under arrest for smoking pot?" in a sweet voice. You have to be tough! be a man.

but she's a woman. And obviously you have to be tough with the person you're arresting.....but your own colleagues? Doesn't make sense :s-smilie:
Oh my god, WOMEN are allowed in the police force???? I'm leaving this country. NOW.

:p: well I think you're friend is a bit silly.
Reply 6
I have a friends who's an officer, when she's wearing the uniform she's the baddest bitch you'll see. Then on her time off she's the most feminine woman you'll meet, it's quite a transformation.
Reply 7
Where I worked the women where more like men and the men were demasculinised.
The police force is a macho environment. I think this is a bit inevitable, in the same way that the army is always going to be a bit macho.

I can see why it is annoying for her though. I suppose the extent of it probably has a lot to do with where you work.

Interestingly, things have got a lot better. My mum used to work in the police force, and a lot of the stories of open bias against her because she was a woman are quite bad. Things have definitely changed though; there is no longer any sort of instutional bias against women.
Reply 9
Calikusu
I was having a discussion with a female friend of mine who works in the police force and she mentioned how working in such an environment meant she had to get rid of her female characteristics......she had to 'stop smiling'....be serious all the time.....make dirty male jokes.....and basically try to be all masculine and tough.

I don't understand why? I mean...surely if they expected such character traits for an officer...they wouldn't have employed a female.

What do you think?

If you are a female police officer, No, you don't have to be serious all the time. There lots of smiles and plenty of laughs. You get a better reaction from people if your body language is positive.

I don't know what you mean about having to get rid of female characteristics. There are many beautiful feminine woman police officers. There are rules about hair and excess jewellery though for practical and professional reasons.

Dirty male jokes? Noone has to make those - guys included. Police officers are a diverse bunch these days.

Toughness and courage are necessary but the training prepares you pretty well. You can't be a wall flower because on the street some offenders will try and exploit every weakness so you have to be able to stick up for yourself and not be easily swayed. It's not all about criminals, a lot of it is about helping people who are in a jam or who have been injured or preventing a bad situation.

It's a great point to raise for a thread. All the best.

Latest

Trending

Trending