The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is Psychotherapy A Waste of Time?

Debate and Discuss. Do anyone think it's a waste of time? What's the difference between talking to a therapist and talking to a friend? Is there any difference? How to Psychologists know what to say? etc
Reply 1
Psychologists have years of training and understand the human mind. While a friend does not.

A Psychologist comes at the problem with a scientific/medical approach. While a friend does not.

A Psychologist is unbiased and does not morally judge the individual. While a friend may not.

Psychologists have been proved to have helped many many many people.

There is a huge difference.
Psychotherapists are trained individuals, who listen to people and try to resolve issues every day. A psychotherapist won't just listen, but try and alter aspects of your life in order to allieviate distress. They are trained not to judge or give personal opinions but to deal with problems from a professional point of view. Furthermore they can keep track of changes in behaviour and such.
Plus sometimes talking to a stranger who is totally there for you and no one else is so much better than speaking to your friend, you might feel like you're a burden on them, or they don't want to hear it.
Psychotherapy isn't just listening, it's more than that.
Reply 3
smellslikemarmite
Psychotherapists are trained individuals, who listen to people and try to resolve issues every day. A psychotherapist won't just listen, but try and alter aspects of your life in order to allieviate distress. They are trained not to judge or give personal opinions but to deal with problems from a professional point of view. Furthermore they can keep track of changes in behaviour and such.
Plus sometimes talking to a stranger who is totally there for you and no one else is so much better than speaking to your friend, you might feel like you're a burden on them, or they don't want to hear it.
Psychotherapy isn't just listening, it's more than that.

I see both of us Psychology fans have answered this in the same manner :P high five! x
Reply 4
Pluuus, if theres anything drastically wrong, then a psychologist can diagnose this and give you help in terms of who to see/ways to treat it, whatever. A friend would be clueless, and probably just refer you to a psychologist anyway :biggrin:
Reply 5
Evidence says it works, your personal experience notwithstanding...
just spent an hour revising pyschotherapy, different approaches (e.g. cognitive) and ways psychologists treat you so i can say theres a huuge difference, mainly the ones listed above so i won't repeat them :tongue:
if there is no different i will be soo pissed as that'd mean i've spent the past few weekends revising for something absolutly pointless.
Reply 7
I am afraid to say there's very little real evidence in psychotherapy's favor. The psychoanalysis industry has long grown accustomed to making unsubstantiated claims in respect of its own efficacy.

The rot set in at the very beginning. Although Freud only saw a handful of patients, he failed to help a single one of them. A seventeen year old girl (Dora?) was taken to freud complaining a family "friend" had made passes at her, and his wife was having an affair with her father. Freud diagnosed that Dora actually wanted to go to bed with all three of them.

If there were a more harmful and stupid interpretation it would be hard to find. Unsurprisingly the girl thought this was nonsense. As with many of his cases, Freud publicly declared the case a great success, whilst privately admitting this was not so.

More recently, a scientist called Eysenck set out to rigorously test psychotherapy's claims. He found that the two thirds of patients who tended to improve within two years would also recover by themselves, by using a control group.

As a profession, psychoanalysis is simply hugely averse to taking an objective look at its results.

Latest

Trending

Trending