The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

The typical St. Andrews stereotype

Scroll to see replies

marlowe92
I know, I know: "every student is different." But, if you had to describe it, what is the typical St. Andrews stereotype in the UK? As an American, I'm not really in the British culture loop, and I'm curious as to how the university is perceived. In the US, for instance, we have tons of uni stereotypes (ie- Brown is for smart hippies, Wesleyan is for hipsters, Dartmouth is full of preppy jocks, etc.). They're not accurate statements about the entire school population, obviously, but they're very helpful in figuring out whether you would "fit in" there.

I wouldn't say it was any different to any of the other elite universities in the UK or those which are referred to as being frequented by "Oxbridge Rejects" which is an unfair label.

A distinct mix of privately-educated, middle/upper class students and also a good mix of those from the state sector and from families who have no previous history of university education. The one thing most students do have is good grades. The average grades are supposed to be something like ABB or AAB aren't they? Obviously this would vary by subject. Subjects like Medicine and International Relations would require AAA.

But generally I would say the "stereotype" of a St Andrews student is that of an intelligent young person seeking knowledge to further their careers and wanting to enjoy 3/4 years of their lives in a nice coastal town.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 21
St Andrews was freezing when I was over- I think if I went I'd be permanently swaddled up in a big puffa coat!
ImperceptibleNinja
...not to the point of being freaky or losers...

That qualification felt faux. :smile:

Warrior King
But generally I would say the "stereotype" of a St Andrews student is that of an intelligent young person seeking knowledge to further their careers and wanting to enjoy 3/4 years of their lives in a nice coastal town.

Get the **** off the moral high ground.
Ekpyrotic
That qualification felt faux. :smile:

Get the **** off the moral high ground.

Why don't you, you foul mouthed cretin.
Warrior King
Why don't you, you foul mouthed cretin.

You're ridiculous. Grow up and learn to express yourself, rather than repeating rote populist dross: "But generally I would say the "stereotype" of a St Andrews student is that of an intelligent young person seeking knowledge to further their careers and wanting to enjoy 3/4 years of their lives in a nice coastal town."
Eimky
St Andrews was freezing when I was over- I think if I went I'd be permanently swaddled up in a big puffa coat!

The weather is rather mild, sunny and pleasant atm
veyvey
Well in Scotland everyone thinks St Andrews students are all stuck up English public school kids who do polo and wear monocles. My friends won't stop ripping it out of me for going there next year. :mad:

Haha yeah a lot of my friends think that too...
yodude888
Are there any students who dress in Dolce and Gabbana, Gucci, Prada etc. or is Jack Wills as "posh rich kid" as it gets?

I think your 'I'm rich and I'm going to show you' wardrobe will be just fine.
Jesuisfilleunique

*cringe* I like your tone. It's actually quite discreet, I promise. I'm asking because I don't want to appear out of place and like a massive cock. As I said, around here it's pretty much everybody's "everyday" clothing.

How's maths and french going, by the way? I'm going to St. Andrews for Maths-Econ, but would be interested in possibly changing to maths and a language after first year.
yodude888
*cringe* I like your tone. It's actually quite discreet, I promise. I'm asking because I don't want to appear out of place and like a massive cock. As I said, around here it's pretty much everybody's "everyday" clothing.

How's maths and french going, by the way? I'm going to St. Andrews for Maths-Econ, but would be interested in possibly changing to maths and a language after first year.

I reckon the main thing that attaches percieved stigmas to certain brands is the wearers' typical behaviour. You don't seem to come across as very up yourself, so hopefully you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 30
Jesuisfilleunique

Oohh...sorry just noticed you do french for science (i guess?) ... How is it in second year? Is it basically just a continuation of the same kinda stuff in 1st yr? Annd I've just been wondering, like cos we do science and art, does that mean we have to do 3 modules? (biology is 30 credits and french 20...) are we allowed to do 80 credits per semester?

sorry slight diversion from topic there...
sophie_c
Oohh...sorry just noticed you do french for science (i guess?) ... How is it in second year? Is it basically just a continuation of the same kinda stuff in 1st yr? Annd I've just been wondering, like cos we do science and art, does that mean we have to do 3 modules? (biology is 30 credits and french 20...) are we allowed to do 80 credits per semester?

You almost always aim for 60 credits per semester, so with the modules you mentioned, you might either want to find a 10-15 credit module to fill up the gap each semester, or do 70 and 50 over two semesters.
There is a (quite high) upper bound on how many credits you are allowed to do per year or per semester. I wouldn't reccommend doing extra credits... I've done it a couple of times, and you do notice it. It doesn't do you good.
yodude888

Yeah it's a good combination. However, the university has, (as of last year,) discontinued science with language degrees for new entrants which means if you aren't enrolled in that programme (which 2009 entrants can't) the chances of that being your degree path are pretty much zilch. However, there would be nothing to stop you taking a couple of language modules at sub-honours level (except not Arts French, it clashes with Maths, both at 9am in first year!)
sophie_c

Yeah it's pretty much a continuation, or its meant to be! However Isabelle Scott is retiring at the end of this academic year and she created the whole course, so as a result I think we will be noticing a lot of changes. Naturally the texts get more difficult in 2nd year and they are less accepting of mistakes but its a good course! As for modules, I had the same issue this year. I took one 30 credit maths module and 20 credit french module in each semester but I did a 20 credit 1000 level psychology module in first semester to make it up to 120 credits. But yeah, the most practical method is 70-50 split.
Reply 34
ImperceptibleNinja
You almost always aim for 60 credits per semester, so with the modules you mentioned, you might either want to find a 10-15 credit module to fill up the gap each semester, or do 70 and 50 over two semesters.
There is a (quite high) upper bound on how many credits you are allowed to do per year or per semester. I wouldn't reccommend doing extra credits... I've done it a couple of times, and you do notice it. It doesn't do you good.

Yeh... I don't really want to do more than 60 credits per semester because I can see that it'll be a lot of work... But I don't really want to do any other subjects atm other than Bio and French (esp as just choosing 2 out of the bios per semester is going to be difficult enough, never mind pearing it down to 1... haha).
So yeh, will probs end up having to be 80 and 50...perhaps...ah i duno!
Reply 35
Jesuisfilleunique
Yeah it's pretty much a continuation, or its meant to be! However Isabelle Scott is retiring at the end of this academic year and she created the whole course, so as a result I think we will be noticing a lot of changes. Naturally the texts get more difficult in 2nd year and they are less accepting of mistakes but its a good course! As for modules, I had the same issue this year. I took one 30 credit maths module and 20 credit french module in each semester but I did a 20 credit 1000 level psychology module in first semester to make it up to 120 credits. But yeah, the most practical method is 70-50 split.

Yeh, we had our last oral class with Isabelle this Mon... twas a sad sad moment iindeed! lol! :frown:
Yeh, I think we've kinda been having some changes already this year as Elodie Laugt has taken charge, like we don't have an oral exam as such anymore, which Isabelle has given the impression of having been a part of the course before(??) Don't know if I'm right with that or not!
Just hope the course isn't as much of a shambles next yr as it has been this yr!
sophie_c
Yeh, we had our last oral class with Isabelle this Mon... twas a sad sad moment iindeed! lol! :frown:
Yeh, I think we've kinda been having some changes already this year as Elodie Laugt has taken charge, like we don't have an oral exam as such anymore, which Isabelle has given the impression of having been a part of the course before(??) Don't know if I'm right with that or not!
Just hope the course isn't as much of a shambles next yr as it has been this yr!

Wow you don't have an oral exam?! That's so unfair haha we have one in 2 weeks, and have had one at the end of every semester so far. Who has been teaching you grammar?
Reply 37
Jesuisfilleunique
Wow you don't have an oral exam?! That's so unfair haha we have one in 2 weeks, and have had one at the end of every semester so far. Who has been teaching you grammar?

No, Isabelle says she doesn't know why... We just have the continuous assessment of speaking in class, and exposes etc. Aw noo, good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!
Last semester we had Mme Scott and Anissa for our oral classes, Elodie Laugt and someone else (can't remember her name Dr.... -she was only teaching at St As for one semester?) for grammar.
This semester have had Mme Scott and Anissa again for orals, and have Aurelie Bergamaschi for the grammar classes.
Who do you have?
Reply 38
I'm from a lower class family, with none of my parents that went to Uni. Will I be in the minority? Jack Wills is taking over the world... AHHHH
Reply 39
Oxy
I'm from a lower class family, with none of my parents that went to Uni. Will I be in the minority? Jack Wills is taking over the world... AHHHH

Don't worry, I'm the same, none of my parents, grandparent etc have been to uni, lower class, on full student loan/bursary, went to the local state school etc etc, and tbh although there are a lot of people with a lot more money, and who have been to private schools etc, there are quite a few of us about as well! The thing is you don't tend to know how financially well off people are, unless they are obv showing they have money by having a wardrobe of nothing other than jack wills or whatever, or if they tell you. But yeh, a majority of well-off students (esp due to the high number of international who have to pay full fees etc), but we "poorer" students do exist! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending