The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

English and Philosophy at St Andrews

What would the typical grades be of someone who is accepted to study English and Philosophy at St Andrews?
Original post by tom1752
What would the typical grades be of someone who is accepted to study English and Philosophy at St Andrews?

According to The Uni Guide, for English and Philosophy at University of St Andrews, "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved)" are "English Literature A* History A Mathematics A" (source). Note that these are above the standard offer of AAA.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
According to The Uni Guide, for English and Philosophy at University of St Andrews, "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved)" are "English Literature A* History A Mathematics A" (source). Note that these are above the standard offer of AAA.

I am eligible for widening access, and am a student from England. If we’re to apply next year, after having received my grades, would widening access affect the likelihood of receiving an offer?
Original post by tom1752
I am eligible for widening access, and am a student from England. If we’re to apply next year, after having received my grades, would widening access affect the likelihood of receiving an offer?

Widening access does not increase you chances of receiving an offer per se, it only does so with respect to the relationship between your grade profile and the entry requirements of the course.

For example, suppose you achieved ABB. Had you not been a widening access applicant, you would not have met the standard entry requirement and so would be very unlikely to receive an offer. However, as a widening access participant you would have met the minimum entry requirement and so you application would be considered. (There's still no guarantee of an offer though.)

Similarly, if you (as a widening access applicant) exceed the minimum entry requirement by two grades (AAA) then you'd be much more likely to receive an offer that a non-widening access applicant who had the same grade profile (as they will have only met their entry requirements, not exceeded them).

Does that make sense?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending