The Student Room Group

Glasgow, Edinburgh or St Andrews?

Hi, I have applied for an undergraduate MMath at each of these unis. I am wondering which would be best to go to? I am hopefully going to work in investment banking if that helps.
Reply 1
Original post by Femaiden
Hi, I have applied for an undergraduate MMath at each of these unis. I am wondering which would be best to go to? I am hopefully going to work in investment banking if that helps.

The main difference will be the location as opposed to the courses themselves. If you live close to one of them and want to save money, stay at home and go to your closest one. If you want big nights out go to one of the cities. If you want a quieter experience go to st Andrews.

Also speaking as someone who's just finishing their MMath degree in St Andrews, it's a small town to spend half a decade in. Don't just go because it ranks well. Make sure you're going to enjoy your time.
Reply 2
Original post by Dg22
The main difference will be the location as opposed to the courses themselves. If you live close to one of them and want to save money, stay at home and go to your closest one. If you want big nights out go to one of the cities. If you want a quieter experience go to st Andrews.

Also speaking as someone who's just finishing their MMath degree in St Andrews, it's a small town to spend half a decade in. Don't just go because it ranks well. Make sure you're going to enjoy your time.

Thanks for your reply, the only uni close to me is UHI lol. May I ask how you found the teaching and facilities at St Andrews?
Also I have heard that there a lot of private school students at St Andrews and that it is hard to make friends if you are less wealthy, is this true?
Reply 3
Original post by Femaiden
Original post by Dg22

Thanks for your reply, the only uni close to me is UHI lol. May I ask how you found the teaching and facilities at St Andrews?
Also I have heard that there a lot of private school students at St Andrews and that it is hard to make friends if you are less wealthy, is this true?

I have found St Andrews to be very good for facilities, especially in the school of maths. Teaching staff are supportive and easy to get a hold of.
There's definitely a stereotype of rich posh folk at St Andrews, but it's not nearly as bad as you might think. I am from a working class background and found loads of people in a similar position when I came here.
Reply 4
Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to respond.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest