The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is Africa the most underrated continent or is it rightly chastised?

Scroll to see replies

JMonkey
Look at other countries in the same developmental stage in history that have gained independence before you judge. I'm not disagreeing I just think it's a bit more than just trivial generalisations.

The quality of life in these countries has dropped quite dramatically.

In many places the countries were better as colonies perhaps because they had more powerful states to prop up and support their institutions and the rule of law (which is severely lacking in Africa).

Protectionism on the West's part is certainly not helping, though.

The problem with globalisation today is that it isn't globalisation.
Reply 21
tucker672
I really want a United States of Africa :biggrin:
Hmm, this sounds interesting. Elaborate...
Reply 22
Don_Scott
The quality of life in these countries has dropped quite dramatically.

In many places the countries were better as colonies perhaps because they had more powerful states to prop up and support their institutions and the rule of law (which is severely lacking in Africa).

Protectionism on the West's part is certainly not helping, though.

The problem with globalisation today is that it isn't globalisation.

I agree it's more global exploitation, but all countries have their agendas. We have to allow for human nature too.
Reply 23
tucker672

That's a thread in itself but good idea, if impractical: religion and politics are a heady brew.

Europe goes round with it's head up its ass boasting about unity, but it took us 30,000 years to get that, and it's still rife with petty political manoeuvring.
Reply 24
EskimoJo
Hmm, this sounds interesting. Elaborate...

I think the system would be quite similar to the US, interms of the political structure and separations of powers with a rigid and codified constitution. I understand this would be extremely difficult with so many corrupt government's in Africa but its what the people want. A common currency with freedom of goods and movement, set on the principles of freedom and liberty.

I know I will sound like a typical "little englander" by saying this, because it seems like i am opposing western values but i am not, I want Africa to retain its diverse culture but I also want them to have democracy, a health care system, electricity and water. We by we I mean NATO and the UN would certainly have to send in "peace keepers" to stop violence and keep elections free and fair. I would also like to add the best thing we can do for Africa as whole is not to give them aid but invest in business and give them jobs as the old saying goes; "give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime", once business is set up Africa can flourish and could definately become one of the richest countries in the world with all its raw materials and hard working people.
Reply 25
Billions has been pumped into Africa from the World Bank and other sources, why has it had practically no effect?

Whereas business (not charity) investments in Asia have created huge wealth and development in terms of prospects and infrastructure.
Reply 26
S.C.M.
Billions has been pumped into Africa from the World Bank and other sources, why has it had practically no effect?

Whereas business (not charity) investments in Asia have created huge wealth and development in terms of prospects and infrastructure.

That's a statement not an argument, care to elaborate?
Reply 27
JMonkey

I think he is trying to add to what I said, you create welath and oppurtunity through investment and not aid. :yes:
Reply 28
JMonkey

I asked a question, hoping someone could answer it. That's pretty much it.
Reply 29
tucker672
I think he is trying to add to what I said, you create welath and oppurtunity through investment and not aid. :yes:

This is true, India and China are being utilized for their cheap labour i.e. clothing and call centres. Why aren't companies doing this in Africa where the labour is also cheap? More people in Africa are likely to speak English as well, compared to China anyway.
Myth717
Simple, Americans and extreme enviromentalists have denied the African dream, which is to develop. They have denied Electricty, fuel, tap water and thier excuse is "global warming". That Africa can not develop due to the impact it will have on the environment. But the funny thing is, America wants Africa to use solar panels etc for electricty. Now, look at the irony, one of the worlds poorest country using the most expensive technology for basic needs.

Ahh its all too complicated.

This post in unadulterated tosh.

Climate change as a concept has only had a widespread following for a decade or so.

Would you provide some evidence, any evidence, of Africans being blocked from development because of worries about climate change? Practically the only example along those lines I can think of is American politicians moaning about how they shouldn't be lowering America's emissions while China build a new nuclear power plant ever week... but this has nothing to do with Africa, and is never actually followed up by any sort of action.

Africa cannot develop because of protectionism, corruption and unfortunately a lot of the time because people are living in areas which don't really support life. Not because of ******* climate change.
Reply 31
S.C.M.

Rather than explaining to you that governments take alot of the money and aid doesn't work I will lead you to a very good article:

http://www.cato.org/pubs/edb/edb2.pdf
Reply 32
I apologise if anyone has already posted something like this, but here goes. By the way, I am speaking as an African:

Colonisation started with trade, correct? Yes, the colonisers took advantage of the land's people and eventually their resources, but to some extent, the leaders of the time weren't exactly helpful in stopping them until it was too late. Think, perhaps, of the African leaders who happily traded slaves for second-rate weaponry.

It's down to two things, I think: the effects of colonialism, and corruption.

Many countries in Africa are politically unstable. That is not to take away from those that are, but even in more stable countries, political corruption reigns. I know Africa isn't the only continent in which political corruption is rife, but I'm sure we can agree that in others, the governments cover their tracks a little better. Another problem is this almost 'culture' of breaking out into violence every time there is a dispute. So long as that continues, I don't think Africa will rise to the same potential as many 'first world' countries.

If the people on top continue to let other countries leech Africa's natural resources for their own personal gain, your 'average' African will never see Africa becoming 'first world'.
africa's quite a big place...maybe it has a few 3rd world countries here n there, but probably has some of the best places on earth.

either way, kenya owns africa :smile: its the coolest, period lol
Reply 34
Sishii
I apologise if anyone has already posted something like this, but here goes. By the way, I am speaking as an African:

Colonisation started with trade, correct? Yes, the colonisers took advantage of the land's people and eventually their resources, but to some extent, the leaders of the time weren't exactly helpful in stopping them until it was too late. Think, perhaps, of the African leaders who happily traded slaves for second-rate weaponry.

And environment no?

Many countries in Africa are politically unstable. That is not to take away from those that are, but even in more stable countries, political corruption reigns. I know Africa isn't the only continent in which political corruption is rife, but I'm sure we can agree that in others, the governments cover their tracks a little better. Another problem is this almost 'culture' of breaking out into violence every time there is a dispute. So long as that continues, I don't think Africa will rise to the same potential as many 'first world' countries.

If the people on top continue to let other countries leech Africa's natural resources for their own personal gain, your 'average' African will never see Africa becoming 'first world'.

Sadly depressing but never say never. Europe started of as a carbunkle on the arse of humanity.

You are the sort of people I want to hear the most from thanks.

Sadly though of all the forums I am a member on, this is one of the very few that has any sort of African posters. For reasons that are fairly obvious.
Reply 35
tucker672

While that might be ideal, African leaders have a tendency to be power hungry, e.g. Robert Mugabe and many others.
Reply 36
ninja_penguin
africa's quite a big place...maybe it has a few 3rd world countries here n there, but probably has some of the best places on earth.

either way, kenya owns africa :smile: its the coolest, period lol

Lol not quite sure what you mean by that? :smile:

S.C.M.
I asked a question, hoping someone could answer it. That's pretty much it.

K.
Reply 37
Africa is too tribal for it proceed and progressive. It has no unity that's why everyone is out for themselves.
Reply 38
Sishii

Colonialism in Africa was 400 years ago, India received independence from the British 60 years ago and look their tremendous growth.
Continent surrounded by oceans and no one thought to build a boat and go places? Hmm...

Latest

Trending

Trending