The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is Africa the most underrated continent or is it rightly chastised?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
JMonkey
And environment no?

Sadly depressing but never say never. Europe started of as a carbunkle on the arse of humanity.

You are the sort of people I want to hear the most from thanks.

Sadly though of all the forums I am a member on, this is one of the very few that has any sort of African posters. For reasons that are fairly obvious.

That's a fair enough point, actually, but I still believe that were some of the governments more interested in building a self-sustaining Africa (or rather, were they able to implement working strategies to do so), Africa could draw on other resources. Though, I suppose environment does have a great impact.
Reply 41
Africa is beautiful. Go to facebook, group Africa you didn't know and you'll find some great photos of Africa. It is not beautiful, it is gorgeous and more! :smile:
Reply 42
tucker672
Rather than explaining to you that governments take alot of the money and aid doesn't work I will lead you to a very good article:

http://www.cato.org/pubs/edb/edb2.pdf

Thanks for the link. I'm aware aid has been swallowed up by some nations and even sold by some governments. But surely if the worlds brightest minds and economists make such financial commitments they wouldn't do so based on such flaws?

I'm always skeptical of blogs/articles online as they are often written by nobodies, if they had answers why aren't they working for World Bank etc?
Reply 43
S.C.M.
Colonialism in Africa was 400 years ago, India received independence from the British 60 years ago and look their tremendous growth.

Agreed, but you can't say India doesn't have at least a small amount of residual impact. Most countries in Africa weren't independent states until last century. But like I said, corruption doesn't help. I'm not condoning blame on colonialism, because, like you said, other countries have managed to emerge. However, it was the ignition. Corrupt African leaders just serve as the catalyst and are making it worse.
JMonkey
Lol not quite sure what you mean by that? :smile:

1st sentence: yes it has many 3rd world countries, but no1 actualy mentions the good points, like the beautiful places or the variety of animals..or the best breweries :cool:

2nd: just random..stating that kenya is the best of the african countries:yes:
Reply 45
Aquarian
Africa is beautiful. Go to facebook, group Africa you didn't know and you'll find some great photos of Africa. It is not beautiful, it is gorgeous and more! :smile:

It is indeed, but it's the vile lifeforms walking on it called mankind that are screwing it up. :smile:
Reply 46
ninja_penguin
1st sentence: yes it has many 3rd world countries, but no1 actualy mentions the good points, like the beautiful places or the variety of animals..or the best breweries :cool:

2nd: just random..stating that kenya is the best of the african countries:yes:

True, that Africa does have some true gems. As for Kenya being the best, that's one opinion:wink:
Reply 47
Sishii
True, that Africa does have some true gems. As for Kenya being the best, that's one opinion:wink:

Time for a photo off, or not, might derail the thread. Meh whatever.

Spoiler

Nature makes mankinds' designs look like the amateur fumblings of a child. :smile:
Reply 48
Sishii

South Africa is the most gay friendly state in Africa. That's why I like it so much. I have many friends there also. :smile:
Reply 49
Aquarian
South Africa is the most gay friendly state in Africa. That's why I like it so much. I have many friends there also. :smile:

Yep! It's not for nothing that it's called the Rainbow Nation:woo:
Reply 50
Sishii
Yep! It's not for nothing that it's called the Rainbow Nation:woo:

*Like*Like*Like*:woo:

:danceboy:

:hippie:
Reply 51
Isn't South Africa a nation where groups of people go round raping Lesbians to 'fix' them?
Reply 52
Unfortunately, that too. But still more tolerant towards gay people than some other countries. ^
Reply 54
Overground
This post in unadulterated tosh.

Climate change as a concept has only had a widespread following for a decade or so.

Would you provide some evidence, any evidence, of Africans being blocked from development because of worries about climate change? Practically the only example along those lines I can think of is American politicians moaning about how they shouldn't be lowering America's emissions while China build a new nuclear power plant ever week... but this has nothing to do with Africa, and is never actually followed up by any sort of action.

Africa cannot develop because of protectionism, corruption and unfortunately a lot of the time because people are living in areas which don't really support life. Not because of ******* climate change.

well hello, go to google video and watch "The Global Warming Swindle".

You'll learn something
Reply 55
Anyone who seriously voted for number 8, ie they would like to see Africa nuked or whatever their method of annihilation, should understand that if they are serious they are indeed racist. Fortunately with the exception of possibly one name there I doubt anyone is really advocating mass genocide.

It was a joke option though, so consider that if you chose it. :smile:
Reply 56
SensiDub
Isn't South Africa a nation where groups of people go round raping Lesbians to 'fix' them?

That happens everywhere.

There are "All she needs is a good man sausage, fix her up a treat." types all over.
Reply 57
Myth717
well hello, go to google video and watch "The Global Warming Swindle".

You'll learn something

Not to watch poorly presented polemics, when real science would be a better bet. If you want that go to journals. The lay media is pretty much drivel on both sides, or at the very least wheat from chaff. The title alone says it all, no self respecting scientist would use biased language like that.

Diaz89
Africa is too tribal for it proceed and progressive. It has no unity that's why everyone is out for themselves.

You've just described European history, well done.

Mind you its an apt analogy of EU parliament as well, with AK-47s instead of words and political machination.

Saying something can't be progressive when clearly it is but not at a pace you like is a bit blinkered.
Reply 58
tucker672
I really want a United States of Africa :biggrin:

God Bless Africa, eh? They certainly need it more than America.
Reply 59
Compare the poor and rich former colonies:

Rich: USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand

Poor: Latin America, Caribbean, Africa

In each of the poor, when we arrived we set up institutions and systems of governance designed to squeeze the most possible out of the land - natural resources, cheap labour, and so on.
In each of the rich, we settled and so implemented the kind of institutions we wanted to live under - secure property rights, rule of law etc

These institutions have a tendency to persist in the absence of any massive shock to the system. In the case of the bad institutions, because the ruling elite benefit massively from the existing set up and have no incentive to change it, and all the power needed to maintain it.

Latest

Trending

Trending